screwed up

Hello,

I now remember why I don't work on my car very often...

Over the weekend I decided to get my Sirius radio attached to my 2005 Outback via an FM modulator. I had all the parts I needed from Crutchfield and things looked fairly simple.

Well... I then ran into the manual climate control cable when I tried pulling the radio out to get at the antenna connection. According to Crutchfield I could simply go under the driver's side dashboard and slide a little "O" shaped cable end off a little plastic level arm (for lack of a better description). I'm here to tell you that that little "O" shaped cable end DOES NOT come off. I went as far as building a pry tool with a 1" putty knife and my dremmel to try to pull it off. NO GO. I did manage to dislodge the cable from a pressure clip holding the cable housing in place... and just getting that back in was not easy. Basically, doing anything under the dashboard is difficult being that there is no room to manuver. There appears to be a small notch on the plastic lever that makes getting the cable on a 1-way deal. Once the O ring pops over the notch you can forget about getting it off (without mangling it, I guess). Not real pleased with Crutchfield.

Anyway, I managed to get most of the radio out so I could grab the antenna cable... put in the FM modulator and a GLI just to be safe... sealed it all up. Sirius radio sounds great... I can even hook my iPod up... almost as good as a aux-in. Very nice. BUT...

Now here's the problem... I get no HEAT!!! That cable that I spoke of controls the cold/heat knob... the cable seems to be working and moving the plastic lever up and down... but NO HEAT! What the heck did I do?

Note to self... never work on car again. :(

Reply to
fenwayfool