Slight steering shake on the bumps

Hi all,

Firstly, I seem to have developed a slight shake in the steering as I go over bumps in the road. So I thought the steering dampner might be on its way out. I had a look and noticed slight oil seepage around the ends of the dampner. Does that confirm that indeed the dampner is shot??

Secondly, I called the local shop and he said they only stock OME products, which is fine. But then he said he could only find steering dampners for left hand drive Wranglers!!! I thought being an Australian product, it would be also in right hand drive version. Is there any real difference between left and right hand drive steering dampners??

Any comments and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks. TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds
Reply to

TW did pass the time by typing:

Yep. They shouldn't leak.

OME or OEM? (OEM = Original Equipment Maker)

Don't see why there would be unless there is some geometry difference. The damper basically looks like a shock.

Reply to
DougW

ROTFLMAO!

A steering damper is just a shock absorber.

That is like the apprentice carpenter saying that the boss gave him the wrong nails, the heads are on the wrong end.... The boss yells, 'hey dummy, don't throw them out, they are for the other side of the house!'

LOL!

I can see the brackets maybe being different, but the shock itself????

Mike

TW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks. It was the original one and I had put the bigger tyres on six months ago. I guess bigger tyres and original equipment don't go that well together.

OME = Old Man Emu (the ones marketed by ARB, both being Australian brands).

difference

That is what I was thinking, I am waiting for the shopowner to come back from his holidays as I have dealt with him before and he has a nicely modified TJ that he uses for fun and display.

Thanks TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds
Reply to
TW

Well, that might literally be true because the guy I normally deal with (the shop owner) is on holiday. He has a Wrangler and a Cherokee that he has modified with OME and ARB products and uses them both for displays and fun.

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

I have emailed you a picture of what my RHD steering setup looks like. After comparing the two photos (one sited by you and mine), I don't really see any difference except for the orientation in which it is installed. How are Monroe stabilisers in performance. I can probably source one cheaper than the Old Man Emu unit (additionally, Monroe is black, OME is yellow). Thanks.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds
Reply to
TW

Mine doesn't look off-centre in any way ; I think they are the same. I dont recall any one fitting a lift kit bought in the US having to do anything with the steering damper either.

http://www.wander> >

Reply to
Dave Milne