Slight thudd when driving

I posted a while back about a noise that I heard when switching from reverse to drive - this I can't replicate anymore, however I can replicate another type of a thudd. It's actually when I come to a stop or start driving... Here is my post, as posted on tundrasolutions.com:

I have a 2003 4 runner, with the V-8, 5 speed tranny. When I come to a stop, and when I take off (even gently) I get a slight THUD, as if something is engaging (and disengaging when stopping)... its very slight, but not consistent - which is why I am a bit concerned. Almost as if a gear is catching, or a gear is being released. Does anyone know if this is normal. I only have 7k miles on the truck, and I think I noticed this for a while. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Dan

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Does it sound like it's coming from the front or back of the vehicle, left or right side, high or low, or can you tell? Louder if you listen with the windows down? With the clutch depressed or when it is released? Only after the brakes are released and you pull away from your stop, or both when stopping and when starting? More details will help figure it out. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Thanks for the reply, Dee. I do not have a clutch, it's an automatic. It is not something you hear as much as you feel. Windows up or down makes no difference and it sounds like it comes from the front or below. It feels like something is being released (as I am stopping) and then is being grabbed (as I am moving). You can't feel or hear it when driving on the highway, or if the truck is shifting gears, only when coming to a stop, or starting from a stop, and it doesnt happen all the time.

Any help would be great! I thought it may be some feature in the new transmission, or some other system.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Could it be the ABS?

Reply to
RG

We've a V-6 /03 4R SE, without thudding at all. But I do notice that the 'skid control' (I don't remember the correct name for this sophisticated system) system often seems to be calibrating itself at low speeds, noticeable when coming to a stop or less often in low-speed maneuvers, making some mechanical sounding clicks and such. It does this infrequently. It is something that we've grown accustomed to now.

Perhaps you're suffering from what the trucks get, the kick in the butt when coming to a stop syndrome. I used to have this on my 02 Tundra, until reading on TS about lubing the rear spline. (One dealer told me 'they all do it'.) Since it is a 4WD, there is a factory grease fitting, whereas the

2WDs had to pull the shaft, IIRC. Perhaps the 4R's are suffering with this also, but to date (10,500 miles), our rig has never exhibited this behaviour.

If you can consistently duplicate it, take the service mgr for a ride. Surely there is something to what you are witnessing.

Reply to
Bob H

This is gonna sound stupid, but check and make sure the spare tire is winched up tight in it's well. I remember seeing a post like this a while back and the clunk was the tire swinging back and forth.

Reply to
zman

It's my understanding, from my dad who has a similar thud from his Cherokee, and who worked in a garage in the 50s, that the thud is drivetrain windup or the truck is climbing up just a bit on its leaf springs. My (and his) thud occurs about 1/2 second after letting off the brake, just enough so the drivetrain can unwind or the truck falls back on the leaf springs. My dad said this was very common in solid axle leaf springed vehicles of the 40s and 50s; part of every grease job was greasing the leaf springs so they wouldn't grinch going down the road or thud when taking off after a stop.

Just a few ideas, I d> This is gonna sound stupid, but check and make sure the spare tire is

Reply to
Kevin Crandall

Does the new body of 4runner now have leaf springs? I thought it had coil springs and stabilizer bar.

-- Dee

Note: please remove all pre-flight tags before replying via email.

----------

Reply to
Pookerz

Welcome to Toyota's slip driveshaft. I came from the Dealer with this issue yesterday. It's common they are finding in the dbl cab's some older 4runners and the new ones. They said they have been replacing drive shafts to fix it, that does work but as soon as it gets grease it's back. So Toyota's solution to it is a little hole drilled in to relieve the pressure. Since Toyota couldn't afford to keep putting in the vents they used to. It does work and the local dealer has done many this way with it stopping completely.

Reply to
mark

I have the same 03 runner with same thud. I think it is suspenion related possibly traction contol component. Let us know if u find out for sure.

Reply to
While E. Cayotee

While E. Cayotee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have an 03 Tacoma 4x4 with auto trans. My thud would usually occur going from a stopped position as I accelorated or just as I came to a stop at a light.

My thudding stopped after I had my 1000 mile service. My mechanic told me that it was my rear drive shaft slip yoke that was causing the thud. He just greased it to capacity and my thudding went away.

Howell

Reply to
Howell

it's the transmission, it's basically untorqueing itself. not rto worry, just lube up your driveshaft and joints to minimize the thunk.

Reply to
shawnews.vc.shawcable.net