Unusual breakin

Thought I'd post this in case it's a larger Subaru problem, although I hope it's not. My 2000 Forrester was entered and searched by a thief last night while it was parked in the driveway. They took $10, so not a big deal. I thought I'd locked it but maybe I'd forgotten, since there was no sign of forced entry. BUT ... today while it was parked at my wife's workplace and definitely locked, someone else entered and scattered glove-box documents around. Nothing taken, and no sign of forced entry, but she had made sure to lock it after last night's incursion. It seemed odd - six years of no problems, then two unauthorized entries in 18 hours - so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has seen a similar incident. Maybe someone has a skeleton key or can override the keyless remote control.

Reply to
cknight

Your wife or girl friend?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Or ex-wife or ex-girlfriend? :)

..

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Reminds me of my wifes friend, who used to change the radio stations when her husband was making a turn to make him believe that the radio was defective.... women.

Then my wife forgot she had told me the story and tried to play it on me, lets just say she will never try to do anything like that again...

snipped-for-privacy@nati> Thought I'd post this in case it's a larger Subaru problem, although I

Reply to
AS

Absolutely - somebody is targeting you, somebody who knows where you live and where your wife works and also has what it takes to unlock your vehicle - key, remote, whatever. The purpose is to harrass you, since the glove box was purposely disturbed in each case and nothing taken. This is somebody who has recently been in your inner circle and now has hard feelings.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Defective women. I know what you mean, they flock to California like flies to manure.

She's dead?

Reply to
Body Roll

D'oh! I didn't pay enough attention - make that is targeting your wife, since the incidents were at home and where *she* works. The nature of the harrassment also makes me think of a woman or a kid, since the intent was to damage the sense of security (hominess) rather than actual destruction, like ripping upholstery. If it is a man past his early 20s he could be dangerous, in the stalker sense. But... I could be wrong.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Put some machinist dykim(sp) blue dye somewhere in the car that the person will touch. The dye will come off when the skin sheds and can't be washed off. PS don't get it on your hands. In any case set a trap of some kind that will leave a lasting impression or worse.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

LOL - I was riding along with the family a few years ago and realized we were approaching a tunnel. I launched into this pointless story about the Caldecott Tunnel in California and how it had a radio retransmitter inside so radios wouldn't fade out as people went through the tunnel. Then as I finished the story and we began to enter the tunnel I surreptitiously faded the volume down. A moment later my daughter exclaimed, "Hey! That's a tape!" I'm a mean old daddy!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Subarus have frameless windows which make it a snap to open the door without damaging the car. Just ask any Subaru owner who ever locked their keys inside the car.

Reply to
Dmitriy

But not easy to do inconspicuously. The first intrusion was in the driveway at home; not a place for a stranger to be wrestling with the window and lock. When I was young I lived in a neighborhood where the police would not stop at night, and my apartment was broken into three times in a two week period. Every apartment in my building was burglarized over that period. But nobody's car was ever bothered on the street, because everybody knew that if they were caught a quick death was too much to hope for.

The second break-in where his wife works clinches it. It's personal.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee