Breakin in new accord

hi, I got my new accord I4 last week and I was wondering the best way to break it in (looking for opinions becuase from what I've seen it varies from person to person) the book mearly suggests that you take it easy for teh first 500 miles (which I'm fast approaching). I've been doing smooth slow accelerations and when I'm on teh highway I'm not staying at one speed too long. now that I'm almost past teh 500 mile mark what else should I be doing (I've head some people say now is the point you should be pushing the engine harder to break it in) I'm shifting about 3,000-3500 on the tach (manual trans.) should I be shifting slightly higher now? should I bring it closer to redline for a bit? just looking for some opinions. thanks!

-nick

Reply to
Dr Nick

Taking it easy on acceleration and driving at varying speeds are the two key things that you're doing right.

There is no magic about breaking in an engine. Once it's broken in, that's it. It's done. Pushing it harder does not do anything more (or less) to the engine. After 500 miles the rings are well seated, the cams are smoothed, the crank is polished, etc, etc.

So enjoy opening it up more, but just enjoy it.

On my first two new cars I would change the oil every 4,000 km for the first year ... that's a bit much. I now change oil every 5000 - 6000 km regardles of car age, and the oil is not too dirty looking even after

70,000+ km.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Browne