Update: 2008 Outback Steering Wheel Off Center

I just picked the car up from the dealer. Unfortunatley the tech who worked on the car was not there and the service manager did not know anything about it.

The car still has the same problem. Straight wheel and the car drifts right, more noticeable at highway speeds then doing 25 mph. Just too make sure I was not being paranoid I took a family members 2008 Outback with 2000 miles on the same exact roads and the car tracked straight with the steering wheel straight besides following the crown of the road on occasion.

With my car if I am doing 70 mph and I want to change lanes to the right, all I need to do is to center the wheel and the car goes right into the other lane. Mind you, the offset of the wheel to the left is not very noticeable but becomes apparent when you center the wheel dead center and the car will change lanes to the right lane quickly.

This is what the dealer stated on the form: Ensure proper inflation of tires and cross front tires to correct radial tire pull. Vehicle tracks straight and does not drift. Advise owner vehicle will follow crown of road, operation meets design intent.

Now what shoule I do? I do not want to do back to that dealer. Is a call to Subaru NA neccesary on Monday morning?

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Matt

Reply to
fly1747

Does the car 'drift' to the right when traveling down a straight "flat" (no crown) road when you take the hands off the steering wheel or does it 'drift' only when you try to centre the steering wheel?

Reply to
Bugalugs

Hi, It only drifts right when I try to straigten the wheel. Otherwise it tracks fines.

Thanks for the reply, Matt

Reply to
fly1747

Matt,

I agree with the people that replied about the tie rod adjustment. This will make the wheel off center, but alignment show being correct. I had a

1984 Chevrolet Chevette with the same issue. I drove it that way for 5 years with the wheel tilted. Worked out because I mounted a tach and with the wheel at that angle, it was easier to see the tach. Made lemonade out of a lemon.

Today most cars have steering wheels that only look right if they are correctly oriented. I would want mine right also. I have heard of this problem before. Normally when someone has the toe adjusted and now the steering wheel is off. Most shops have people skilled enough to correct this at least after the first time you return.

Normally it is a matter of doing the alignment with the steering wheel centered and held or locked in the center position.

I check for center on the interstate. The car should pull equally, wheel centered, to the right in the right lane, and equally left in the left lane, this is normal. If it pulls the same direction on both sides of the road crown, it is off.

The only options I see, is to educate the current dealer, try another dealer, or contact Subaru. I wouldn't want to pay for this correction on a new car.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Take it back.

Get them to lock the steering wheel into the straight ahead position first; *then* go underneath, undo both the tierod ends and start again.

PS, My daughter had a tireshop, seen it all before.

Reply to
Bugalugs

FWIW I'm with bugalug and others who recommend locking the steering wheel *then* doing the alignment. The symptoms you describe fit with a steering wheel that is not centered with the wheel alignment. If I had anything to add besides seconding bugalug's theory it would be that there is a communication breakdown somewhere between your experience and what the mechanic is being asked to do. May I suggest that you take a different approach when describing the problem.

Maybe describe it as: The car tracks straight (i.e. wheels are aligned), but the steering wheel is off center/crooked (i.e. tie-rod ends are equally and oppositely out of adjustment).

I'm not an expert on alignment (just an automobile driver with an interest in Subarus), but the beyond the problem with the car it sounds like there is a communication problem.

hope you get some results,

Max

Reply to
Max

IMO, lose that language. The car doesn't drift, the problem is that the steering wheel is misaligned. Two very different things, so don't confuse the service people unnecessarily.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Go back. Have mechanic ride with you on flat road. Center wheel. Observe face of mechanic as you drive toward shoulder. Request that he fix it. (worked for me!)

Reply to
Fred

They can remove steering wheel and then reinstall it centered!!!

Reply to
bigjimpack

Dear Matt:

I agree with Fred (...with a name like his he must be right! ). I suggested this to you already, Matt...avoid the communication issue! You sit in the passenger seat with the service manager driving and with the technician, the technician's dog and anyone else from the dealership who you can squeeze in sitting in the car with you and *show* them the problem! It really does seem to me that there is a problem in communication here...

Reply to
Fred Boer

OK, IF the car has a drift AND the alighnment is true, then swap the fr tires with eack other. IF the car drifts the other way its call radial tire pull- replace the tires. People are concitrating on the wheel/toe setting and the drift. These are two seperate items. Toe will not cause a drift. Tire wear and off center wheel but not a pull/drift Do you have a copy of the alighnment specs? I would like to see the numbers

Now for a update for all about alighnments and procedures.

Several years ago Hunter came out with "WINTOE" and you no longer have to lock the steering wheel down. After the camber and caster is set you select "wintoe" The alighnment machine asks you to place the wheel in the centered position. press "OK" The machene takes a snapshot of the heads and memorises where things are. Now even if you were to move the steering wheel it wouldent care. You set the right tie rod, press ok, then the left, then ok. set the picture where it asks and check the steering wheel, it should be centered, and useally is. I have had one comeback sence using win toe, and I think it was just how he looked at the s/wheel. I had the customer set in the car and place the wheel where he wanted it. he was then happy with the results

Reply to
StephenW

My suggestion is, do not go back to the same dealer. They have proven they do not care about your problem, if they did, your problem would be gone by now.

I would not call Subaru unless this one is the only dealer in town.

Good luck

StephenW wrote:

Reply to
AS

Thanks everyone for the help,

I talked to Subaru of NA and they are now involved. I am going to drop the car off at another dealership this Friday and go from there. Subaru of NA has been informed of the exact problem and they will call the dealership.

Both front tires were swaped and the car will still drift right with a centered steering wheel.

Thanks. Matt

Reply to
fly1747

I grew up rather poor in the 60s. When I finally got a few years old enough to pay attention to things around me, the used car my dad was driving, as I recall, had a large problem with the steering wheel "alignment." The steering wheel was turned about 1/4 turn or something from straight up when you were driving straight. Apart from this the steering was normal (as I recall.) Not knowing any better, I assumed this was normal, and there was no "correct" orientation for the steering wheel. It took me many years before I realized that this was not normal. If you don't know any better, sometimes it's not a problem.

Reply to
P T

I don't see what the big deal is. You don't LOOK at the steering wheel while driving, right? At least I hope not.

Reply to
Paul Knudsen

I bought a late model used car from a dealer once, and had it checked out by an independent mechanic. The car cost $9k I think. The mechanic's first observation was that it needed a 4 wheel alignment because the steering wheel was off center like this. The dealership complied, aligned the vehicle and we made the deal.

Now if a non-Mazda dealership in Dayton, OH will do that without batting an eye on a $9k used Mazda on their lot, I don't think the OP should have to deal with the same shit on a brand new, in-warranty nearly $30k freakin Subaru from the original dealer.

Yes, it's something one could learn to live with and ignore, but on a new car that costs more than most of our parent's first homes? Nah.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Todd, That is my thought on the whole thing. If I was buying a used car, I could understand but on a brand new car, no way.

The car goes in tomorrow morning and Subura of NA should be calling the dealership, so we will see what the outcome is.

Matt

Reply to
fly1747

Hey! Where's the update? Inquiring minds want to know the outcome! :)

Reply to
Fred Boer