US MY2005 Legacy GT engine question

Does this baby have a closed-deck block? Is this a de-tuned version of the US WRX STi's powerplant?

On a slightly different topic, why do you think the US H-6 equipped Outback's aren't offered with a manual transmission? Are they available with a manual overseas?

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Just a wild-assed guess. The clutch and drivetrain couldn't stand the torque of dropped-clutch starts. With an auto and torque converter, the engineers can modulate the torque.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I guess market research shows they wouldn't sell enough of them to make it worth while.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

From what I've heard/read, they are only similar in the fact that they are both 2.5L. This makes it easier for the mechanics to service the motor with existing tools.

Good points in the other posts, and because they want to see if there is a market in the USA for what will be a significantly more expensive Legacy (B4 & Touring) than they currently offer. IIRC, Subaru of N.America only sells ~11% of its cars with manual trannies and there are a lot of manual WRX's, so that leaves very little demand for them in the Legacy based line-ups. Of course if they offered a Legacy-based car with a decent motor... doh! I'd be *very* interested in a 275hp B4 with a semi-automatic or manu-matic tranny with shifters on the steering wheel (paddle or button) . C'mon Subaru! Terry - '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 25,000 miles '03 Silver Legacy SE auto-sedan - 2450 miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio