1981 toyota pickup stalls

I have a 1981 Toyota SR5 pickup truck. It's four-wheel drive, 5-speed manual transmission, with a 22R engine (2.4L). I've been having an intermittent problem with it for a while where it stalls when the engine reaches idle speed. So, when the problem is present, the truck will stall every time I stop or if I hold the clutch in long enough for the engine to reach idle speed. As long as you keep the RPM's up enough, you can prevent it from stalling. This problem does not occur at any specific time. It doesn't just happen when it's hot or cold or a specific season or whatever, but seems to occur randomly. I'll just be driving along and then I can feel it wanting to stall all of a sudden. I can tell it wants to stall when the truck starts bucking and lurching a little. It disappears as fast as it arrives sometimes, but other times it just keeps stalling and stalling, which is extremely annoying in stop and go city traffic. After it stalls and I restart it, the starting is hard and it seems to crank more than it should before it starts. Getting up to freeway speeds for a little while after

the truck has been wanting to stall seems to make the problem go away most of the time (at least for a while), but occasionaly the truck does the bucking on the freeway too.

Thanks

Reply to
ajj

Gas filter almost plugged up?

Mike

ajj wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wow, this goes back a ways, but my 1979 Corona wagon I believe used the

20R which was smaller displacement but esentially the same engine. I believe the car would stall like that when the distributor contacts got crudded up. Try replacing cap, rotor and wires.
Reply to
John S.

Just addressing the stallng complaint and not the myriad of other symptoms which may not be directly related-- Perhaps the idle circuit fuel cut solenoid is failing intermittantly.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks Toyota MDT in MO it was the idle fuel cut solenoid. Thanks again ! Fred

Reply to
ajj

Cool, but you still have other assorted driveability concerns to keep you busy... Oh joy!

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish