1992 Chevy Lumina p/s lines - how to tell them apart?

the hose nearest the right/passenger fender is leaking/gushing some. Is that the return line or the high pressure line? Something tells me it's the return line, but in my twisted little mind most logic is skewed. Please help. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

I dont remember, but I have been there and done that. Remember that the power steering pump HP side can put out around

1000 psi, give or take, when the engine is operating at road speed, and leaks are more common in the high pressure side. Sometimes a pinhole leak will "paint" the engine compartment with PS fluid.

It is somewhat less likely that you will get a significant leak in a low pressure line, but not impossible.

Third point, it can be really hard to find leaks sometimes. I have had some bad luck with GM pumps leaking around the shaft, and when they are fairly slight leaks they can look like the fitting end of the hose is leaking.

So clean it up and look carefully for the leak before starting to replace hoses or pumps helterskelter.

If the pump is leaking at the shaft, dont even think about trying to rebuild it yourself. It can be done, but in my experience it wont last.

Just my 2 centavos.

Reply to
hls

I had a 85 GM car. Same problem. Looked like the hose crimp or the fitting.. Turned out it was the pressed in cover on the PS pump. Replaced the pump. ww

Reply to
WW

Check online for pics. This is the low side:

The return hose is ordinary hose. Just like on my Grand Am. Both hoses eventually leaked on mine with the return going bad about 5 years before the high pressure one did.

Reply to
Paul

On my personal car, I used ATF as the PS fluid.. Damn me, I didnt read the owners manual. I always figured the ATF ate up my system.. Maybe not, but you have to blame something.

GM has a tour in Hell to walk about more things than one.

Reply to
hls

All of my GM's went 225k+ miles before the scrapyards got them, but at an expense of $200 per month in parts not including regular maintenance items. It will be interesting to see if my Kia makes it that far. It has 60k now and no repairs so far.

Reply to
Paul

It took me a while to realize the subpar result I was getting with GM autos, starting back in the 80's. And as I became more aware of it, the angrier I got...with myself as well as with GM.

I hope you have good luck with your Kia. Hyundai, the mothership of Kia I think, seems to be making gross strides in terms of quality, performance and design. I have heard speculation that Kia may disappear from the market, with Hyundai expanding to fill the gap.

Reply to
hls

Funny. I bought a Beretta (2.8 l. engine) new in 1989. Ran it for

205,000 miles. Replaced the heater core and a crankshaft senser in that time period. O ok, there was that 6 weeks though where the car wouldn't turn over (something to do w/moisture I think, somewhere). Just let it sit during that time LOL.

I bought this thing w/88,000 miles on it for 500$ (the Lumina that is). Got 141,000 now. My first problem was this hose (I just keep filling it for now).

You must have a skill for picking the bad ones man. For the most part (75-80% of the time, or even significantly better), I get an excellent highly reliable nearly maintenance free vehicle.

Let's here it! - GM! GM! GM! GM!

Reply to
Chris

Funny. I bought a Beretta (2.8 l. engine) new in 1989. Ran it for

205,000 miles. Replaced the heater core and a crankshaft senser in that time period. O ok, there was that 6 weeks though where the car wouldn't turn over (something to do w/moisture I think, somewhere). Just let it sit during that time LOL.

I bought this thing w/88,000 miles on it for 500$ (the Lumina that is). Got 141,000 now. My first problem was this hose (I just keep filling it for now).

You must have a skill for picking the bad ones man. For the most part (75-80% of the time, or even significantly better), I get an excellent highly reliable nearly maintenance free vehicle.

Let's here it! - GM! GM! GM! GM!

Reply to
Chris

Yes, I did..GM, GM, GM, GM