How to take apart '99 Lumina dashboard?

I've got a '99 Lumina sedan and need to replace or repair the lighter socket. The socket is mounted to the ash tray/drink holder module.

After removing the ash tray "drawer" there are 4 visible screws holding the unit in, but there is also another screw (possibly a second one is missing) at the top and hidden behind the face of the dashboard which surrounds the radio and other controls. The only way to get this top screw out would be to remove that large face plate. I couldn't figure out how to remove it and didn't want to force it.

I'm sure someone here has had the face of the dash off in order to replace the radio, or perhaps has a repair manual that describes the procedure. How do you do it?

Christopher

Reply to
Christopher

The "official" procedure seems to be to remove the whole front console trim plate to do this, by taking the shifter handle off, then popping the back of the shift control bezel up to remove it, and pulling the connector on the socket. Then there looks to be some kind of retainer on the outside of the socket that holds it in..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Is there anything special I need to know about removing the shift lever or should it be obvious?

I did remove the lower dash panel under the steering wheel to see if any screws for the faceplate were back there (there weren't) and it did look like the bottom of it somehow snapped into the top of the steering column, so your explanation makes sense.

Christopher

Reply to
Christopher

It looks like there's a retaining clip that pops out of the shifter handle, then it should just pull off. It says to apply the parking brake and move the shift lever to 2 before taking the plate off..

Reply to
Robert Hancock