1992 Chevy Lumina 3.2 sedan rear struts

The Haynes manual makes it sounds kind of "involved". Apparently my car has the auxiliary damper, which need GMC tool blah blah blah to be removed. An other GM tool is needed to compress the large transverse spring. Is either tool necessary? There's a youtube video where a guy does a '97 Lumina and s imply puts a jack under the wheel, then releases it when he's got all the b olts out and is ready to take out the strut. Any help would be greatly appr eciated.

Reply to
generalordertwentyfour

as the auxiliary damper, which need GMC tool blah blah blah to be removed. Another GM tool is needed to compress the large transverse spring. Is eithe r tool necessary? There's a youtube video where a guy does a '97 Lumina and simply puts a jack under the wheel, then releases it when he's got all the bolts out and is ready to take out the strut. Any help would be greatly ap preciated.

actually it's a 3.1 liter engine

Reply to
generalordertwentyfour

auxiliary damper, which need GMC tool blah blah blah to be removed. Another GM tool is needed to compress the large transverse spring. Is either tool necessary? There's a youtube video where a guy does a '97 Lumina and simply puts a jack under the wheel, then releases it when he's got all the bolts out and is ready to take out the strut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The '92 has a leaf spring, so don't let the Youtube vid confuse you. That's a '97. Looks like it's not a bad job. Might be time for the electric impact if you don't have an air compressor. No special tools needed - just be careful and use common sense. A spring compressor can be borrowed at the auto store if you need it. Here's a couple links for your type.

One guy says spray with WD40. Ignore that and just use PB Blaster or similar. Another option might be leave it alone. You didn't say what problem the struts are giving you, so I don't know. My '97 struts are still fine, and I haven't done them.

Reply to
Vic Smith

the problem is the rear bottoms out at high speeds, and the gritty texture of the wheel well balds the tires.

Reply to
generalordertwentyfour