2000 Ford Windstar - engine clatter during cold start

I have a 2000 Windstar with 103,000 miles on it. It has started to make a sound during cold start like there is a small chain hanging off the fan as the engine begins to turn. It almost sounds like a broken timing chain clacking around in the engine. After the start cycle is complete and the engine stabilizes at idle, the noise stops. It will not repeat this until the engine is cold again. My gut tells me this is the starter but I just don't know. Anyone have any experience with this type of noise?

Reply to
Vito

It could be a starter issue, but my guess would be that the timing chain tensioner, which I believe is hydraulically pumped into compression against the chain, is failing and taking it's time coming into contact and controlling chain slop...the chain will make clattering/ratcheting sounds iuntil full oil pressure hits it when this happens...

Other things to look at would be a fan clutch that is failing, or even a water pump going bad, that will sometimes create quite a clatter on cold start, but there'd usually be some leakage associated with it.

Occaisionally a serp belt with coolant leaked on it or a failing serp belt tensioner will clatter loudly on cold start as well...

A quick way to tell would be to remove the serp, if the noise is gone, you know it's belt related...at any rate, with the belt-driven accessories stationary, you'll be able to hear more of where the sound comes from if it's still there, without the roar of the fan and the movement of all the pulleys...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Sounds like it could be the starter drive mechanism... perhaps the one-way clutch is failing.

Telstar Electronics

View this thread:

I spent some time this weekend troubleshootiing this noise and found that it os coming from the drivers side of the engine compartment or transmission end of the engine. It only does it one time on cool sart and then it is fine on restart. Is the timing chain tensioner in this area and can it be checked in any way?

Reply to
Vito

No, a chain noise would come from dirctly up front, behind the fan and water pump...it may be the starter, if it's on that side...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker