Knocking During Cold Start-up

1991 Camry, 3SFE, Auto, 115,000 miles During the last 2 years, there is a noticeable knocking sound from the engine while it is idling after a cold start. When the engine is hot, it is relatively very quiet. I cannot hear the knocking when the engine is hot even when I rev up the engine. The oil pressure warning disappears a few seconds after start-up, and the knocking decays slowly after about 2-3 minutes. Since I had the car, I changed the oil every 3000-4000 miles, but my concern is that there is some buildup inside since I found some buildup inside the oil cap (is this a valid indicator?).

- Would you recommend on flushing the engine?

- remove the oil pan for inspection?

- change to a different type of oil filter (I use pure-one)?

- ignore the start-up knocking because a. overall everything else is fine, or b. there is nothing much to do about it?

- Any other suggestions?

I use 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winter (Southern CA), regular dino branded oil. Should I switch to a specific type/brand?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bauz

Some years ago I had the same problem with a 6 cylinder Ford van. I used a cheapo oil filter from KMart (Motorvator, IIRC). Either the drain back valve was bad or it was non-existent. Switching oil filters solved that problem. I don't know anything about the Pure-One filters but you might try one from Toyota parts. That will at least give you a frame of reference. That would seem to me to be the easiest and cheapest first step.

Reply to
NickySantoro

There are few reasons for the condition you described: Some wear on the cam bearings (could be caused by long time use of low quality oil and filter) Leaking exhaust manifold gasket Loose or cracked exhaust manifold heat shield I would recommend to remove the valve cover and check for dark brown hard deposits under it. The engine flash in such case would just lift this crud and carry it into the oil pump passages. I would recommend to use OEM oil filter, and Valvoline 20W50 oil in summer. In addition, the noise can be produced by timing belt idler bearings or (real case with my customer) by alternator front bearing.

Reply to
Doctor J

It could be crap oil filters without functioning anti drain valves, try a Toy filter. I would not flush it but rather pull the valve cover and hand clean it.. But mine is noisy to sometimes.

Reply to
m Ransley

Since the knocking continues after the oil pressure comes up, it's not going to be valve clatter. One possibility is piston slap. My '83 developed that at about 200K miles. I get a rattling, almost diesel sound for about a minute on a cold day. Car has 250K now. All I've done is to drive slowly (or just let it idle) until the noise goes away.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger
91 3SFE engine has different piston/ring design starting from 88 year which greatly raduced piston slap noise. Plus, such noise is very unlikely on the car with 115 kmi.
Reply to
Doctor J