2002 chev. 1500 fuel milage

I have a 2002 chev silverado with 100,000 km on it with the 4.8L and auto trans. I consistantly get an average of 12.5 mpg. I still have original spark plugs, air filter (filter vacuum gauge is still in green area) fuel filter etc... The truck runs perfect so I see no need to start changing things like these and the manual does not say to in there maintenance schedule. The epa estimates for that truck are 18 city/22 highway. and I do about 60% highway. Is this normal and the estimates are inflated?

Reply to
mark

Shep

Over the life of my 2002 ext cab with a 5.3 auto has been 16.45. I use excel to keep track. All my driving is in city. Two trips on highway were

19.8 and 18.3.
Reply to
MikeG

Reply to
mark

Reply to
Shep

You do not mention what tire size and type you have which can be a BOG factor in MPG as well as the way you drive and the terrain you drive in. BTW, if you read the actual EPA test cycle for highway MPG, they never exceed 60 and the average speed for the 12 minute test is 48MPH. Nobody averages 48 on highway except maybe in a city at rush hour (if that) but it is how they weight the test to their favor for marketing. If they used a higher more realistic standard, the "ratings" would be lower. Newer test standards are in the works and while some claim could MPG with those trucks, you have a lot of weight/mass there and it take fuel to move it.

Reply to
SnoMan

I get the EPA estimates with my 04 driving at 65mph so why can't an 02?

Reply to
Eugene

No two drivers are the same and the mud grips and tha average temp of

20 plays a big roll too in poorer MPG. Consider yourself luck if you can get EPA rating as a lot of people do not.
Reply to
SnoMan

It could be normal. What you don't say is:

-has the mileage always been like this or is it slowly getting worse? (need a tuneup)

-your average highway speed is 85 mph. (probably normal fuel economy at that speed.)

-uphill in the mountains towing a boat (you're getting good fuel economy.)

Ray

Reply to
news