2003 Caravan A/C Compressor Clutch

The A/C compressor clutch on my wife's 2003 Grand Caravan is toast. Bit it today in the 114 degree Arizona "dry heat". She wasn't very humorous about it.

I removed the cowl and see the rubber is completely disintegrated. This one has a small bolt in the center - smaller than I've been accustomed to seeing on older vehicles.

We called around to all the parts stores and no one carries it. Is this not a serviceable item? Looks like it could be replaced as any other.

Thanks.

Reply to
Scott Dudley

I'll make a semi-uneducated guess that you have a Nippon Denso 6P series compressor, in which case the clutch, pulley and hub come off very easily with a bolt and two snaprings. Availability I do not know. It is getting to the point in mobile A/C parts that everyone is replacing whole compressor/clutch assemblies with remans anymore. It's a shame if you have a good, low mileage compressor that just needs a clutch. On the other hand, did it get too hot and toast the insulator material in the clutch disc? The whole compressor sale is being pushed by the CYA mentality to an extent, but also from repeated bitter experiences of trying to save the customer some money and losing out on the deal.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I've done just a clutch/clutch coil replacement before when the compressor was still known to be good, but the parts to do the job always came from the dealer(read: $$).

How many miles on the car? Has the compressor been changed prior to this failure? If it is a high mileage compressor it might be better to just swap it out, if it truly is just the clutch that broke and the clutch didn't break as a result of a compressor lock-up, you could swap the compressor and vacuum/recharge without worrying about contamination of the system. The only special tools you would need would be the line disconnect tools, a vacuum pump to take the air out prior to recharging, and a set of pressure gauges.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

And because so often when the clutch eats it the nose of the compressor gets eaten also. Fortunately, a Denso rebuilt -- which should be available aftermarket -- will be of impeccable quality. Pretty much every other rebuilt out there is crap.

Don

Don