Used car maintanence strategy

I have just bought a used car (Saturn) with 78,000+ miles on it. I will work it into a regular maintanence schudule -- but where do I start? A window sticker tells me about the last oil change, but I don't know about anythong else. I can guess it might need a transmission flush and a radiator flush, but what else is suggested? I'd like to get 200K miles out of it which I understand is not an unreasonable hope ...

Reply to
Brian Gordon

if you don't have records, change ALL fluids - coolant, trans, final drive (if separate) brakes, power steering, etc. - and have a tuneup/inspection done. then follow a regular maintenance schedule from here on.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Follow the maintenance schedule in the back of your owners manual.They give you the mileage and what actions to perform.

Reply to
'97ventureowner

First, I'd grab a for real factory shop manual for it... maintenance will be spelled out in painful detail within. Google up an outfit named 'Faxon Auto Literature' for the manual (note that the 'manual' might actually be a multi volume set). I have no personal experience with Faxon, but a couple of friends say nothing but good.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

If you flush the radiator with a chemical, use a mild one or leaks may spring out all over, including at the water pump shaft. I wouldn't flush the transmission but merely drain (remove pan) and refill and replace the spin-on filter. Change all the belts and water hoses, and use only molded radiator and heater hoses. I would get a new thermostat and radiator cap - at the dealer (may need to also buy gasket for thermostat). Check all vacuum hoses and change any that are even slightly hardened or cracked. Change the brake fluid, taking special precautions if the car has ABS (check owner's manual, factory manual, or Mitchell manual at library). Change power steering fluid. Avoid any chemicals not specifically recommended in the owner's manual. That includes engine oil and transmission fluid additives.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

+

Flush all of the fluids, replace the belts and consider replacing the heater hoses..

Reply to
John S.

One time Rodney Dangerfield said he went to a used car lot.He said he was looking at a used car and he found his girlfriend's red dress in the back seat.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The acid flushes are a mixed bag. They do a great job of removing corrosion, but if all you have holding the system together is corrosion, it will spring leaks right and left.

I would not do an acid flush on a car for no reason; change the fluid in the radiator completely and do a water flush, but unless it's overheating skip the acid stuff.

If it IS overheating, use the acid, but be prepared for some long-suffering components to finally fail in the process.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would change all the fluids just to cover all the bases. I would not flush the coolant with anything other than water. I'd also replace all the filters too, and maybe the spark plugs. If you don't know how old the battery is, then I'd consider replacing it too.

Reply to
scott21230