'92 Acclaim: wipers stopped working

It snowed, and my daughter attempted to clear the windshield by using the wipers. Caked in ice, they failed to go on. They won't go on now that the windshield is clear. The 20A fuse checks out OK. What are my chances there's a fusible link somewhere, or can I expect that the wiper motor -- or worse yet, the intermittent control -- is blown out? Any help in further diagnosing the problem?

adTHANKSvance Dan

Reply to
morton

I believe there is also a relay. It is located in the engine compartment, near the strut tower. To check the motor, you will need to directly connect a 12v power to it and see if the motor starts.

Reply to
Rajsircar

Reply to
Richardsons

"Richardsons" experience is similar to mine. Amazing how little it takes to stop 12 volts. If that is the problem, just loosening the motor and retightening might be enough.

The snow thing makes me wonder if she popped the linkage. (Working from memory here, I hope I have it right.) Have you gotten into the compartment and actually looked at the motor? The wiper arms connect to the motor via a ball and socket linkage in front of the steering wheel.

Reply to
joef