93 chevy lumina 3.1

Will not start unless you hold accelerator to the floor. idols fine after starting but when you drive it about 45 miles anhour starts jumping in hesitating

please help???????me

Reply to
wfox30

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:aad1fe7f-fb3d-4492-82bc-48cfb8d072e4 @googlegroups.com:

how long since you replaced the fuel filter? KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I replaced fuel filter and fuel pump when I started having the problems but still yet got the same problems

Reply to
wfox30

Measure the fuel pressure at the rail when you're trying to start and at idle. Is it what the manual says or is it something very low or does it kick up very high at first and then drop down to normal?

Are you getting a nice hot spark at the plug?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

pressure is 45 psi which what it says in the manual should be on fuel rail

Reply to
wfox30

also replace coil pack

Reply to
wfox30

Kevin Bottorff wrote in news:lpoqif$j59$3 @news.albasani.net:

they were known to have problems with the injectors too. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

How many miles, what climate?

I've had a weakened module in a similar 2.8L engine. This was after 90k+ miles, most were made in Las Vegas. Just saying, its more likely something else.

Basia

Reply to
Basia

Does it stay at 45 when the car is shut off?

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

The module sits in a very tight spot, constantly fried by the heat, and is very flimsy to begin with.

These cars were also notorious for converter solenoid overheating and locking, causing stalls, particularly after driving higer speeds, but that's another thing altogether, though also cheap electronic part related.

You might look into replacing some sensors, throttle position for example.

Basia

Reply to
Basia

Wait, I retract the 'another thing altogether' part. Does it have a tendency to stall after running at higher speeds 45 miles per hour. It's possible it gets flooded. Google "converter solenoid overheating GM." Check for fuel in the air filter.

Basia

Reply to
Basia

I think it might be the fuel injectors mess with it couple minutes cylinder 1 and cylinder 6 had gas in it engine would not crank remove spark plugs then crank gas went everywhere

Reply to
wfox30

That's not what I asked. I asked if you had a good solid spark or not. Do you?

What other things have you swapped out? It would have been good if you had listed them in your original post.

Have you checked the timing? Have you looked for an exhaust restriction?

Don't just swap things out, measure.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If the injectors are leaking, then the fuel rail pressure will drop fast as soon as you shut the engine off. If they aren't leaking, then it will stay up. If the injectors are leaking the engine will be running very rich causing the exhaust to smell like unburned fuel (and not like partially burned fuel or like paint thinner). Are these the case?

There is a standard test for injectors where you pull them and squirt onto a sheet of cardboard to measure the pattern.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

when you're driving it it does smell like gas

Reply to
wfox30

no I have not check the timing I figured it hasn't jumped time because it's 93 it's only got original 43,000 miles that is there original miles to thi s motor yes it does have very low mileage I know the engine wasn't mistrea ted cuz there was an old woman who used to own the vehicle never drove it r eally I have put a throttle position sensor on it a MAP sensor on it I figured since I found gas in the cylinder1 and cylinder 6 I figured it'd be the injectors are bad and I figured if I put everything in a post that I 've done to the vehicle it would be a very very very very long post

Reply to
wfox30