'96 Taurus/temp fluctuating

Appreciate any suggestions... thanks From: "Ralph Griffith" Subject: 1996 Taurus/water pump? Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:07 PM

Any suggestions from this elite group most appreciated. Temp. reading fluctuates on 1996 Taurus, just installed a different 3.0 engine.. To: "Ralph Griffith" Subject: Re: Taurus Date: Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:53 AM

It's good thinking. The mechanic did that first thing after he put the engine in.

Strange thing is after running for about an hour - if I have the heat on - the heat will go down to where its just putting out fair heat. If I rev the engine the heat will get back to the temp it is supposed to (hot).

Indicates to me either a water pump not pumping adequately at low rpms or maybe air in the system causing a slow down / stop in circulation.

I'm going to run it for awhile and keep putting water in to see if it is air needing purging.

Strange problem.

--- Ralph Griffith wrote:

> After your call David , I got to thinking that it > may be worthwhile to change the thermostat in the > Taurus (maybe you have already done that)... the > engine had not been run for awhile and the > thermostat not being cycled 'open and closed' for > awhile could have some slight build up causing it to > stick every now and then... it could eventually do > ok with use, but that may be the culprit. good > luck... love Dad

Ralph Griffith

Ralph Griffith wrote in rec.autos.tech

Park it on a hill so that the radiator cap is the higher than any other point in the cooling system. This will allow air bubbles to move to the top of the radiator, allowing you to fill the car completely.

Reply to
Dick C