I have decided to rebuild, now what?

I have decided to go ahead with the rebuild of my '94 S10 2.2L engine. GM does not offer a crate motor and the mass produced rebuilds have to many nightmare stories associated with them.

Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these engines? If so, can you share on your experience, where you got the parts etc.?

I am thinking it would be best to go ahead and replace the pistons and rods bearings and the camshaft. I have a local machine shop that I trust lined up to rework the head. I will also replace the oil pump.

I have heard that graphite head gaskets are the way to go with this engine. Any thoughts or comments? I have heard that Moly piston rings are a good idea as well.

I don't have all of the tools necessary to mic out the block so I think I will just leave that to the machine shop this time. Do you guys think I should invest in the tools to double check the machineshop work?

Other than that, I am ready to get started. I will probably be asking more questions as I go on. It has been 10 or 12 years since I have torn down an engine so I may not be up to date on some of the new techniques. You guys have always been a good resource to keep me in line. Anything you can comment on for this post I will appreciate more than you know.

Reply to
t_puls

Kudos on taking on this project. Leave to the machine shop those items where you really need help. Things like the valve work, boring, head flatness, etc. Make sure all the crank journal bearings have proper clearances by using plasti-gage. Not difficult, just time comsuming. It would be a good idea to have the head pressure tested to make sure there are no cracks.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

What happened to the engine originally? Bad head gasket with dexcool in the pan?

Once you find the machine shop you trust, let them tear down your

2.2 and give recommendations. They may recommend more or less than you think is necessary. They may even find a crack that makes it un economical to rebuild. Who knows? I know the 3.1, 3.4 v6 had hollow cams and problems with then breaking. Don't know if the 2.2 had a similar set up and problems. Ian would know. Let us know what you end up doing. I have a 96 S10 with a 2.2 in it. (still running). It had the head gasket done under the "special program" before i got it.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

Guessing a blown head gasket. Lot's of steam pouring out the tailpipe last time it ran. Engine has 222,000 miles on it so I am only surprised that it lasted that long without something like this happening.

Tim

Reply to
t_puls

The machine shop will usually put the bottom end back together for you for around $75, Well worth the extra money in my book. If you feel you need to buy tools to check their work you are dealing with the wrong machine shop... Find someone you trust.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.