97 Accord - ventilation fan noise

I own a 97 Accord with about 120,000 miles. About a year ago, I started noticing noise coming through the vents from the ventilation fan. At speed 1, it sounds as if the fan blade is catching on something. It sounds like a fast clicking noise, turining up the fan speed muffles this clicking noise since the sound of the air turbulance overpowers the noise. Has anyone had similar problems with their ventilation fan? Is it easy to get to, to either replace or lube? Thanks

Reply to
Joe Blo

possibly a leaf that got sucked into the system? youll never know until you take the fan out.

Reply to
mike

I had a similar experience with my '97 Accord. But, the noise occurred when the fan was in the second speed. I never got used to the noise, and ran the fan either in first or third speed.

Reply to
Brian Smith

I agree that the only solution is to take the system apart and remove whatever "the fan blade is catching on..." If you don't know how to do it, make an appointment with your favorite mechanic and let him or her do it--for a fee.

Reply to
Bill B. Johnson

Hi, Maybe something like dried leaf or small debris is stuck in the cage? Check it out. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you look at the vent air intake slots in the plastic plenum cover at the bottom of the windshield you'll se that there is no screen behind them to prevent debris from entering. You have to be meticulous about keeping that area clean during Spring and Fall when there's lots of plant debris around. If it's just that it will eventually clear itself - you can try turning the fan up and down the speed range and changing the vent outlet flows, which sometimes dislodges it.

I've also seen a mouse nest in the fan cavity - the dried up little baby mice make a *lot* of clicking noise as well, usually with a fan which is out of balance and vibrates at the high speed... and it's quite a big job to get them and all the torn paper & rags stuff out of there.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

If you like to mess about,try reversing the motor wires for a few seconds. The motor could clear the leaves by its basic design of the fan type. Its designed to scoop air, leaves etc. Reversing it could clear it .

Reply to
Jon

Reply to
George Pennington