Fan noise

1985 Cj-7 with 4.2L About 3 weeks ago I started hearing a clickin noise in the engine....sounded like the fan was hitting the fan shroud, and it stopped when the weather was warm or when the engine was fully warmed up. Well today the water pump went out so I replaced it and expected the noise to stop. Well luck has it now the noise is louder and worse. I can spin the fan and can't find anywhere it may be rubbing. But when I start the engine it's there until I start playing around with the shroud...like bending the top as far foward(towards back of car) as I can. So my questions: Can I just scrap the fan shroud? or will I just overheat? I don't feel any play in the fan, but is it possible it's wiggling at high speeds?(doesn't look like it is to me also doesn't look bent). How bad is it to drive it like that...to work and back in the morning...or maybe till the snow stops... Almost positive it's rubbing the fan shroud too. Thanks for the help

Jeremy

Reply to
jelwell1982

Do you have a thermal fan clutch?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

I don't know...how do I tell??

Reply to
jelwell1982

Buy new motor mounts. You only need the fan shroud if you ever drive slower than forty miles an hours. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

You say you don't feel play or slop in the fan right?

Some fans have a clutch that goes bad and causes your symptoms. If you can turn the fan when the engine is stopped, it has a clutch. If it turns free when cold and turns 'really' stiff after a 'hot' shutdown, it is working right.

If there is no fan play, you have a blown engine or tranny mount likely.

How rusty is the body? If the front center body mount under the grill has failed, that could cause it too.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > 1985 Cj-7 with 4.2L
Reply to
Mike Romain

Jeremy, After I removed & re-installed my XJ's fan shroud while changing the serpentine belt, I would occ. hear a noise, which I finally determined to be the fan hitting the shroud. What I found was, I had failed to position the tabs on the bottom of the shroud into the locator slots, allowing the shroud to be drawn into the fan blades.

JS

1998 XJ
Reply to
JS359