Alternator pulley...

I've got a 1986 Chevy G10 van. Rarely gets used, but handy to have around. Gets driving maybe once a month.

A while ago there was an awful racket under the hood. I checked the noise and found that the alternator belt had failed. Not a big issue. Pulled the remains out and got the van home.

While I was installing the new belt I noticed that there were five grooves in the crank pulley for this belt, while the alternator only has four. I had replaced the alternator a little more than a year ago and didn't notice the difference then.

Well, I figured it wouldn't be an issue this time since it didn't seem to cause an issue before, but today I went to pick up some stuff in the van and noticed that the volt meter was only at 8 volts. Checked under the hood and the belt is gone.

At this point I guess I'll have to get the correct pulley on the alternator...

What I want to know is just how much work will it be to get this pulley off of my alternator, as well as pulling one off at an auto wreckers?

Reply to
Calab

It should take about 5 minutes with a wrench and screwdriver.

Reply to
Paul

take it to a place that rebuilds alternators. they should be able to replace it in a minute with the air impact wrench. they could probably sell you the proper pulley also. call ahead to make sure.

Reply to
boxing

On Dec 28, 10:24 pm, Paul

Reply to
geofreesparts
2 hours or less with the appropriate tools for a novice who has asked ALL the right questions to get ALL the right advice. (does not include drive time, time for bandaging knuckles)

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal.........waits ~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

============ ============ Calab wrote in msg::

What I want to know is just how much work will it be to get this pulley off of my alternator, as well as pulling one off at an auto wreckers? =========== ============

Paul

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Opened the hood, moved the washer bottle out of the way, slipped the wrench on the nut. warranty time> .1

Reply to
aarcuda69062

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

must be a DEEP offset wrench......aye

:)

~:~ marsh ~sips his shroomtea.........pounds the flange flat.......now she'll go on there~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Snap-On hasn't made 'em for a three decades. (bought new)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On Dec 31 2007, 4:26=EF=BF=BDpm, aarcuda69062 wrote= :

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Had to warranty anything off any of the trucks lately....... that isn't made anymore ??

Not to mention the quality sucks now.........piss's me off when I go to warranty something that I bought 20 years ago that isn't available anymore....or having to substitute it with a tool that's made in China now and inferior in quality.....

anywhooooooo.......a subject for a thread I rectom........

~:~ marsh ~raises the the glass to Cuda.....happy newyears dude~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

:) Had to leave _something_ for the op to figure out! Now, what was the screwdriver for? (Happy New Year to every one!)

Reply to
Paul

:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

lol.............to wedge against the pully to hold it i rectom....

lol

~:~ marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster