Bad FWB (?) - which side?

Our '04 Cavalier has started making a low droning noise when there's any steeering pressure to the left. Also, a little vibration. I've been told this means a bad FWB.

Other times I've replaced a hub assembly, I could feel play when I rocked the wheel vetically. I don't have that now. Assuming it is the bearing, does the noise (ie, when I steer left) correlate with which bearing is bad?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

Ive seen them that would make a grinding noise when loaded, like you describe. Usually you can get them up off the ground and turn the rotor and hub by hand, and you can feel (or hear) the difference.

The noisy one isthe bad one, of course.

Now, sometimes very low mileage bearings can do this. For older cars, you might want to consider whether you want to replace them both, just for good measure.

Reply to
hls

George wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It could also be a CV joint going. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I've never had a bad CV, that I know of. I expected they'd be like a bad universal: a clunk on startup. No? G

Reply to
George

No not really... for a bad CV axle check for rips boots. ANY tears in the boots and you will need to replace the axle.. also bad axles make a ticking sound when turning.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Usually the bad one will make more noise when under stress. Turning left applies force to the right side.

Reply to
Paul

... Which I changed, and the noise is gone. Thanks much - it was really annoying.

George

Yay! :)

Reply to
Paul