9th gen Corolla road noise

I recently purchased a low mileage 06 Corolla in good condition (or so it seems). The noise insulation is less than appropriate. It seems like the sheet metal and windows got thinner relative to earlier models, which probably contributes to this. Sometimes I feel like I drive with no doors at all - especially when there's a lot of traffic around. Also, lots of tire and wind noise at highway speeds. Can't hear the radio... Door and window seals look OK.

Anyone else experienced this with their Corolla? Is there maybe an easy fix to this?

Reply to
Dan

Corolla road noise is the worst of any small car I have ever driven. I rent a car per month, somewhere in the USA. Corolla gas mileage is very good though. Its a trade off. Your best bet are those foam ear plugs. Don't leave home with out them. They work good on airplanes, too.

Reply to
Paul

Yeah, it's Toyota cost cutting across all models and brands (including Lexus with one less engine mount, for example). You probably have to use a lot of hushmats audio enthusiasts use all around the passenger compartment.

I wonder if the Civic is quieter. The new GM and Ford sub-/compacts next model year are supposed to be quieter, more fuel efficient and handle better. We'll see.

Reply to
john

Gee, 'john', waht a SURPRISE *YOU* would say something like this! Not

What is it you have against Toyota?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Well, my previous car was a 95 Corolla and I was very pleased with it except for some road noise. So I decided to upgrade to a newer model, and turns out it's got the same road noise plus some wind roar near the windows. What happened to the Toyota "constant improvement"? Is it that hard to make a quieter car?

Reply to
Dan

What you describe sounds like every Honda I ever owned (Honda has to be some sort of Japanese synonym for road noise). Maybe Toyota is trying to play catch up with Honda now?

Reply to
E. Meyer

Yes it is. In the huge push for efficiency body panels are made thinner out of stiffer steel which contributes to the noise.In broad general terms, you can have a car be light, efficient and noisy, or heavier quieter and less efficient. They could also shape the car to limit noise.. think Citreon or honda insight, but they look too 'gay' for the mainstream. Just my 2 db's worth, Ben

Reply to
ben91932