Clunk noise when accelerating after shifting to reverse

1987 Dakota V6 automatic goes clunk after shifting into reverse and depressing the accelerator pedal.

Does not go clunk when shifting back into drive from reverse or to drive from park.

I cannot tell where the clunk sound is coming from. It is not frighteningly loud, but definitely noticeable.

It is a new phenomenon.

Any thoughts?

Jack

Reply to
Jack

U-joints are my first thought. Is it a 4x4 or a 4x2?

I'd stick it on a lift and look for play in the drive train, I'm sure that will help narrow things down.

Reply to
PeterD

4x2

Thanks, PD

Reply to
Jack

Check the mounts.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

First things to check include u-joints, differential companion joint nut, rear spring u-bolts and front engine mounts. You might also check wheel lug torque especially if you have alloy wheels. From there, you may need an assistant to help isolate the location more specifically.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Either bad u-joint, or motor/trannsmission mounts

Reply to
m6onz5a

yea, throw it on a lift and see whether there is any noticable slack in the drive line.

Reply to
PeterD

I can't believe that the Princess of Dakota Noises hasn't responded!

Maybe Jack dosen't like cookies?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Sshhhh... Maybe Jack doesn't know about the cookies...

Reply to
PeterD

Only a princess? Darn. I was out of town. My truck does have a clunk, but it appears to be something about the brakes - even after replacing pretty much everything, it's still there sometimes when warm. Seems to be innocuous.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (7/12/2010 7:31 PM):

Cookies? What cookies? Dunno anything about no cookies!

Reply to
jmc