ballast resistor wiring info needed

66 Buick skylark 340 engine I need to wire in a ceramic ballast resistor. It has two terminals on it. The car originally came with just the resistance wire, but it's not there anymore. It has a stock points distributor. The coil says to use an external ballast resistor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I think it should go. On the negative terminal of the coil should go the wire from the distributor. On the positive terminal of the coil should go the wire from the starter solenoid. Also on this terminal should go a wire that connects the ballast resistor to a 12 volt source which should be on the ignition switch. Let me know if this is right so far, but I still have a problem. I'm too stupid to figure out how to put the wire in the ignition switch. I thought that when I pulled the ign. switch out of the dash that I would see prongs on which to attach the wires. Instead there is a dark brown plastic piece that the wires go through and it is connected to the metal part of the switch. I'm afraid that if I try to pull it apart, I will break it. Is there another place that I can connect a ballast resistor wire to. Battery? Voltage regulator? Fuse panel? Please be very specific. And thank you for any help.
Reply to
66lark

Shep

Normally you pick up a switched 12 volts for the ballast. This can be from any circuit that needs the key in run to turn on like that old ballast wire.....

I would just put the ballast resistor on the place the ballast wire came from or whatever power source the coil was using...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

The voltage regulator or generator output will supply 12v with the engine running. Also used to supply power to an electric choke.

wws

Reply to
wwsjr

I'm curious if the OP is over thinking this. Is the original resistance wire still in good condition? It counts as an "external ballast." I'm envisioning the OP going to the parts store, purchasing a replacement coil for his car, and then seeing the wording "use with external ballast" printed on it and thinking that he needs to add a ceramic, wire-wound resistor when in fact the original wire should be appropriate.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

======== ======== Nate, he said the wire was no longer there.