Bent Rim Question

Just had my car (2000 SAAB 9-3) in to dealer for 90,000 mile maintenance. Tech said all 4 rims are bent but not bad enough to worry about. The rims are Borbet CA's. What I am wondering is how to determine how much the rims are bent, or better yet how it was determined that they are bent. As far as I can tell the tires were not removed from the rims. I tried measuring diameter and did a visual but saw no issues or variation. I am looking for information so when I go back and ask this was determined I have some data to work with.

Thanks

Wayne

Reply to
why, me

Spin them on a wheel balancing machine and watch for out of true.

Reply to
John S.

Or just spin them on the car and hold a piece of chalk or grease crayon near the lip of the rim. takes a steady hand tho. To really test precisely, set up a dial indicator with a magnetic base, stick it on the fender (clean everything well first, don't want to scratch) and set the ball of the dial indicator on the lip of the rim, then you can measure actual runout in thousandths.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Based on the original poster's comments it would appear that the wheels were not far enough out of true to be noticable while driving. If that is so I think that any wobble noticed by the mechanic isn't worth worrying about.

Reply to
John S.

Thanks for the info, and you are correct about nothing being noticeable. I still don't know why they were checked in the first place. It certainly isn't listed in the maintenance schedule.

Wayne

Reply to
why, me

He probably put them on the wheel balancing machine, and watched them as they went around and noticed they were out of true.

You can actually measure this with a machinist's runout gauge, but usually a qualitative inspection by eye is enough.

If you see a little wobble as they go around, but there is no uneven tire wear and you don't feel anything funny while driving, don't worry about it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Did he check wheel alignment? It's standard practice to account for normal runout when mounting the alignment equipment on the wheels. I never heard anyone call them "bent," though. (Spent some years as an alignment tech). ALL wheels have SOME runout, even expensive customs. As long as it's within .060-.080 inch, you'd never feel it while driving.

Reply to
the fly

Chances are they did a wheel rotation and spin balance. There's not a set of wheels around with 100,000 miles on them that don't have at least a bit of wobble. If you don't notice it then it isn't worth worrying about.

Reply to
John S.