car won't start and no lights

After 10 yrs of trouble free motoring my car has refused to start- absolutely nothing when I turn the key. No lights on dashboard and central locking,radio not working. Tried jump starting with jump leads; jump starting with a push and tow but no luck. Is it likely to be battery or alternator?thanks lots

Reply to
mumdawn

Sounds to me like you've got shorted plates in the battery. I had a similar situation in a Ford truck and since it was a standard transmission, I was lucky enough to get it push started so I could get to the store for a new battery.

Reply to
John Selph

if the battery is 10 years old it could be shot. maybe disconnect one of the battery cables and check the battery with a load tester. if it doesn't test normal then put a charger on over night and test it again. if the battery tests ok the next day then something is killing the battery.

Reply to
boxing

i guess it could also be as simple as a corroded battery connection

Reply to
boxing

Or a blown fusible link. Clean the terminals, check the battery voltage while disconnected. If its anywhere around 12v, its OK. At least it should light up some instruments. Put it back in the car. If everything is still dead, start looking for a main fuse or fusible link.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.