Changing valve seals with air pressure

Hi all,

I've been changing my valve seals on my engine by using an air compressor to do it. When I pump air into the cylinder I hear air leaking out. I tested this by putting the valve cover back on and felt for air and felt it coming out of the pcv valve (with the others closed off) so the air is going past the piston into the block.

Question is, how much air should I hear or should escape when I do this. Seems like a lot to me as I need to rush to get the seals changed before my

11 gallon compressor runs out of air (I charge the air tank and turn it off to see how fast it runs down).

I've tried this on several cylinders and it's all the same.

BTW, I'm changing the seals because I'm burning oil. I'm seeing a puff of blue smoke when after idle a while and step on the gas. The seals I have removed are red and very flexible. Each seal had a little spring around it to keep it taught against the valve rod. I tested the valve rod play by letting the air out of the cylinder, dropping the valve down a bit and moving it back and forth. I'm not feeling any play there.

Also, I had a compression check done before doing this and found that all cylinders were 150 psi across the board.

Thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

There is an official leak-down test to determine an acceptable amount. Air could be going around the valves, or like you thought, more likely around the rings.

I wouldn't sweat it if all cylinders are equal & you're at 150psi.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Well, as soon as I'm done with the seals I'm going to do the compression test myself and see what I get.

Thanks,

Reply to
William Oliveri

Don't do a compression test, do a LEakdown Test. Takes a different tester

|> I wouldn't sweat it if all cylinders are equal & you're at 150psi. |>

|> -Jeff Deeney- |>

| |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to