cheap way to fix the exhaust pipe to pass the emission test

I have 1994 Toyota Camry. The car runs well. The only thing is I need to pass the emission test but there is not enough air going thru because there are a few leaks (flex pipe, etc). Instead of spending $500 to $600 to have it replaced, is there a way to patch it for enough air to pass through? I don't want to spend $600 on an old car like that.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Reply to
liu

Toyota exhausts, installed by Toyota, are Lifetime Warranty. If you had a Toyota exhaust installed at any time, they will replace it.

My Mom is on her third on an '86 Camry.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

The flex pipe probably needs to be replaced with another flex pipe. Leaks in a straight section of hard pipe can be repaired by either cutting out the bad section and clamping in a short section of similar sized pipe (your FLAPS probably has sections of same) or if you're in a real hurry, take some tin snips and cut up a beverage can and smear the inside with muffler cement, then secure over holes in pipe with hose clamps.

these are likely only temporary repairs, depending on climate...

nate

Reply to
N8N

or use a beverage can and a couple of larger hose/band style clamps. either method should get your through.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Do you have any web link that shows this? Free would be GREAT.

Thanks,

Reply to
liu

Thanks for the information.

Reply to
liu

If you replaced the tailpipe/muffler/exhaust system at a Toyota dealer, the dealer should still have a record of it, even if you lost the receipt. I know this for a fact, both from being a LONG time Toyota owner and having worked at a Toyota dealer. You don't need the receipt as long as you go back to the dealer that installed it (Honda has a more interesting system; theirs is central, and you can look up ANYTHING done to ANY Honda at a Honda dealership ANYWHERE in the US and Canada!)

If you had the work done by a Toyota dealer and can produce a receipt, any Toyota dealer will replace it free of charge. When I took 'Mumsy's' car in for a new exhaust it was 45 minutes, and out the door...no money. Nothing. No charge for 'clamps', labor, grease, oil, etc. "Here you go , Mr Hachiroku! Have a nice day!"

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B