Gas station versus service station

Got to wondering about these terms. Do they mean the same thing to most of you, or do you believe they are different. Leaving convenience stores out of this (that is, going back to the old days), which term do you generally use?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I use "gas station".. To me a "service station" offered a variety of services, including attendant pumped gasoline, oil, window clean, sweep out carpets, and a mechanic (?) available or on duty. This type of service station is rare, if it exists at all anymore.

Reply to
HLS

I normally use "gas station" because most gas stations don't actually do service any more. It's difficult to find one around here that is. Most of them are convenience stores that happen to sell gas on the side.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Gas stations.I think Service stations are as rare as hens teeth nowadays.Of course there is always Auto repair shops, I don't think they sell gas though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I dunno. I suspect it is just easier to say "Gas station."

Decades ago I worked at a "gas station." It (Chevron) just happened to do clutch jobs and even automatic transmissions along with whatever other work short of body work. Never heard it called a "service station," even by the boss or corporate. Heard it called the "Chevron station," or just the "Chevron," as was the "Mobile" across the street.

Now the newest seem to be called "mini-markets" or "short stops," or just the local "Fast-Strip" or "Texaco.'

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Don Stauffer wrote in news:49199d79$0$48225 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Gas station.

In my opinion, if the station lacks service bays, then it is not a service station. The name "service" meant "auto service", something that was essential back when cars needed simple stuff like ignition points, chassis lube and brake adjustments done every few thousand miles.

To me, a gas station is better known by the term "filling station". These days you fill up both your car and your tummy there, but you can't do much else.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, I realized just after I posted the message that I had forgotten the term "filling station".

I am wondering if there is a regional preference.

While there are few stations actually providing service these days, I am thinking of the era when it was common.

So, back in those days, did you call it "gas", "service", or "filling" station? And what state do/did you live in?

This is more than a simple curiosity- I am working on a car book, and there will be a chapter on gas/filling/service stations.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I used to read Gus Wilson's Model Garage stories in Popular Science magazines many years ago.They were the very first articles/stories I always read first in those magazines.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

From eastern Texas, they were commonly called "filling stations" in the old days.

Reply to
HLS

Don Stauffer wrote in news:491af003$0$33220$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

As I recall, when I was a kid we generally called them "gas stations". Or they were identified by the brand of gas they sold (i.e.: "the BP", or "the Gulf station". This would have been in Ontario, Canada.

I don't recall hearing the term "service station" much, and "filling station" never. The first time I ever encountered the term "filling station" was in a British car magazine.

Reply to
Tegger

Gus and Joe are real live men.

Or, look on the web for, Gus Wilson Model Garage cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Don Stauffer wrote in news:491af003$0$33220$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Now that I think about it, I also remember my dad talking about taking the car in to "the garage" for work. "The garage" in this case was a gas station that also had service bays.

Reply to
Tegger