Deceptive gas station tactics

I've noticed something lately that can't just be my imagination. Perhaps you have too?

I'm talking about the 'arrangement' on the front of fuel pumps. Lately, I've seen some that are overtly deceptive with respect to the 'press here' button placement and graphics. The last time I noticed this, it became clear to me that I had nearly pressed the 'premium' button instead of the proper 87-grade button.

The pump had not itself changed, only the stick-on graphics on the front that the customer looks at. The order of grades of fuel was switched (usually it is 87, 89 and 92, left to right - this one had the 87 and 92 switched), and even worse, the 87 octane button was highlighted in screaming orange. (Normally, the high-priced 92 is highlighted.)

I suspect that these subtle changes are designed to fool the consumer into choosing a more expensive grade of fuel without fully realizing it. The next time I run into this, I may photograph it. Normally, I hit the 87 button, shove the hose into the tank, and begin checking out the babe and hot rod situation at other pumps. The last time I filled up (I'm pretty sure it was at Chevron), it struck me as unusual that the selector buttons were arranged so oddly. Now I know why.

Am I alone in this observation?

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Yep. I've noticed more and more stations locating the '87 octane button at the center of the pump. 87-89-92 being logical they now read 89-87-92 or 92-87-89. It was my guess they were trying to get people to inadvertently select one of the higher grades.

*laff* last time I did that some moderately hot woman came in driving a beater car. Turned into just another story of not even appearing wealthy enough with my clean,waxed and pretty mustang. She was driving a worthless car that was making sick noises like it would break at any moment (it was a GM product)... this area I'm in is just bogglesome to me.
Reply to
Brent P

I've seen it too. Even pushed the premium button once and hung up the hose before I pumped one penny and started over. I've seen it at the Texaco's here in Colorado, won't go there now.

Reply to
Scott Williams

What's really bad is that some stations are switching the green handles to the gas pumps and putting red handles on the diesel pumps. Since I drive an F-250 PSD, I make really sure that what I'm pumping is diesel fuel.

Reply to
Laurie S.
** What's really bad is that some stations are switching the green handles to ** the gas pumps and putting red handles on the diesel pumps. Since I drive an ** F-250 PSD, I make really sure that what I'm pumping is diesel fuel.

Yikes! A little gasoline will make that diesel run REAL hot, Man. Accidentally pumping a tankful of diesel into a Mustang might slow it down a little too.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** Yep. I've noticed more and more stations locating the '87 octane ** button at the center of the pump. 87-89-92 being logical they now ** read 89-87-92 or 92-87-89. It was my guess they were trying to get ** people to inadvertently select one of the higher grades.

That's what I'm talkin' about. The changes are very subtle. And profitable I would imagine. Personally, I'm tired of everyone trying to get into my wallet lately.

** *laff* last time I did that some moderately hot woman came in driving ** a beater car. Turned into just another story of not even appearing ** wealthy enough with my clean,waxed and pretty mustang. She was driving ** a worthless car that was making sick noises like it would break at ** any moment (it was a GM product)... this area I'm in is just bogglesome ** to me.

HA! Don'tcha love it? Incredibly hot women who drive beaters that won't EVEN look at a guy who drives a Mustang. I'd love to believe it's jealousy at work, but it probably goes much deeper. I think people like this have self-image problems that they'd rather not talk about.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

yeah I had wondered if they are switching em around for a reason. I noticed it and wrote it off as just how and when the pumps are refitted. I wouldn't put it past the gas stations to do this. Cool thing though, the Citgo I go to has three pumps handles. If I accidentally push premium, I shut it off and start over. wouldnt do me much good to run premium in my jeep rubi dave

Reply to
dave

at 30 Apr 2004, JD Adams [ snipped-for-privacy@Softcom.Net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

[...]

No, I've noticed it as well at some stations. The Citgo's around here all go from left to right 87-92 but Chevron ones seem to be free in how they want to do it. some do 87 - 89 - 92, some 92 - 89 -87 and some use

89 - 87 - 92. It's conditioned me to double check button arrangement every time I get gas other than at my regular Citgo pump. I must admit they have a very clear set up with big numbers so it's easy to see what octane you select.

Caveat Emptor (sp?) is in order?

Reply to
Paul
** I have this advice, Brent. If you are looking for a quality woman, ** bypass any that use what you drive or your income as qualifiers. You ** are signing your own frustration warrant messing with them. If you feel ** that this is all you have to offer, you need to spend some time in the ** Land of Introspection to see what kind of honing your personality ** needs.

Well Brent, there you have it: you and I are officially emotionally and intellectually inadequate to court the opposite sex. I guess we'll just have to settle for worshiping our expensive toys.

I can remember the days when tipping your hat to the ladies didn't result in sexual harassment lawsuits or hostile, misandric vehemence. Times change I guess, and the battle of the sexes rages on.

What the hell were we originally discussing? Oh yeah, filling station rip-offs. Yeah, that was it!

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

JD, I wish I had your response skill, mine is no where near as good... I just get too defensive... Sadly, I am too young to remember any kind of other days than these days of women who get pissed off for holding a door for them...

Reply to
Brent P

Prolly just pissed at you cuz you din't ask her if you could help. Mebbe thot you it was a service station and you were the pump jockey.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brent P" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 3:00 PM Subject: Re: Deceptive gas station tactics

Reply to
Jafo

You know, when I first read this latest post last night, I thought that there was SO much material here, I could have a field day machine-gunning the snot out of it in traditional CobraJet style. Why? Because you missed virtually every point I was trying to make. But I digress, with the just the following comments.

Whenever you or anybody else chooses to share your personal frustrations or problems with the rest of the world, you *must* expect to receive criticism that isn't "flattering". Your post was a plea for commiseration and sympathy over your lack of understanding the opposite gender. JD, who has a huge chip on his shoulder about women, immediately gave you what you were looking for, and you were happy. I made you face your issues and you went on a defensive binge.

I don't have the time to pursue this further. If you have a fragile ego, I suggest that you refrain from posting about personal issues. I can't help anyone in deep denial. And believe me, I've helped many people over the years in big and small ways.

With the hundreds of people that read this forum, I'm sure *some* of them know I'm not blowing hot air. I can't expect everyone to be operating on my wavelength, though, can I.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Mustang to start fiddling with.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

I'll shorten this. If I was like your tounge dragging friend would the negative reactions depend on location? If it was me, it should occur everywhere I go, right? I should never be able to escape it. An attractive woman faces the same things world wide, correct?

Yet, the reaction of the kind I am talking about has never happened south of 20th street (chicago's south side), nor in many of the places I've visited. Why do you think that is?

A friend of mine who lives in NYC has heard similiar stories from multiple people he knows who live in same area as me. My female friends don't understand it at all, but they didn't grow up this sort of environment. (yes, that's right, I have female friends, attractive ones at that...)

You don't know me at all. You know your tounge dragging friend and just assumed I was similiar. I worked with a guy like your tounge dragging friend, of course he married someone he met before moving to this area, and moved out of here.

And just a side question do you valet your car when you're on a date? Hand over the keys to some russian guy that doesn't speak english or some teenager? And pay him for the priviledge of him flogging your car and maybe stealing the wheels while you're eating dinner or whatever... You've see Ferris Bueler's day off right?

Reply to
Brent P

You know something, Brent? Somewhere in your city is a psychiatrist who spent thousands of dollars and years of hard work at school to be able to talk to someone like you. Call around. Email them these posts of yours. I'm sure they'll take you for free.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

You certainly could use the help with your ego problem, that's for sure.

Reply to
Brent P

All he did was offer some advice. If he read your message wrong it's not the end of the world.

-- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable, PIAA Driving lights.

Reply to
AZGuy

*laff*

Does a 'real man' admit his mistakes?

Reply to
Brent P

A tip from an OLD guy.... Being defensive will not get you anywhere in this life.

A reread of these posts should convince you of that.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Ok, next time I'll be aggressive, and just start insulting people, follow cobrajet's lead. Should I start with you? :)

Reply to
Brent P
** But now role reversal has made words like "ego" and "macho" and ** "manly" terms to be spit at. This was essential for femilezzes to ** gain the upper hand. And the weak younger males who were raised in this ** environment have bought into this tripe wholesale, creating millions of ** passive, effete, fat, castrated underachievers who *deserve* the lack ** of respect women and the media currently heap upon them. I see them ** every day, wherever I go. It makes me puke.

Your entire message was insightful, intelligent and well spoken. I couldn't agree with you more.

We now see product marketing directed solely at feminazi's. The Virginia Slims ad was just the beginning. Most recently, the Brawny paper towel lumberjack was replaced with an effeminate, non-threatening, unintelligent looking male stripped of manly facial hair or rugged skin tone, dressed in edgy, casual office attire. SUV's, cell phones and overpriced coffee drinks are marketed to aggressive, upwardly-mobile middle-class professional women, or those who wish to be. Lawyers are in a feeding frenzy with sexual harassment lawsuits joyfully conjured up by women who joyfully take advantage of this unusually profitable period of gender discrimination.

The worst part of this is that unless you go along, you're not going to *get along*. Feminazi's have eagerly penetrated middle and upper management positions in most companies using intimidation tactics threats of discrimination lawsuits to an unprecedented level of advantage. They make up large percentages of courtroom judges, attorneys and jury pools, and have no problem upholding this new 'standard' of conduct. Feminazi's now occupy a large portion of our legislative branch as well, drafting new criminal and civil laws to uphold their skewed beliefs of equality spawned by the ERA. Gun control is now a very real possibility, thanks to 'Million Mommy Marches' and money thrown at power-hungry feminazi legislators.

The male ego is alive and well, just not publicized much anymore. Gone are the days of Audie Murphy, Gen. George Patton, John Wayne, Buster Keaton and Clint Eastwood. We now have whipped, subservient, whiny males who strive to co-exist peacefully with Feminazi's, and can no longer relate to older Men who seethe with vital testosterone. Some go as far as to defend and protect Feminazi's by denouncing manly activities such as drinking liquor, owning guns, hunting, fishing, and of course, real 4WD vehicles. Often, males who drive Mustangs are often included in this shit-list as well.

Men should be Men, and Women should be Women. Everything else falls right into place when this simple rule of nature is observed. I wouldn't like to raise babies or work as an office secretary, and I don't think Women truly enjoy unpiring little league games or driving trucks for a living.