How to turn an automobile into a lawnmower ???

I need a powerful lawnmower, so I need advice how to turn an automobile into a lawnmower.

What do I need ?

Reply to
Winnie Oakbob

If it's front wheel drive, take the radiator fan(s) & zip tie them to the catalytic converter, then hook up an extra battery so they spin twice as fast. Should do the trick & your minimizing cost by using existing parts. The only thing you'll need after that are the stickers that tell ya to keep toes & fingers from under the car, put 'em on the windshield in front of your face as a constant reminder.

Reply to
pater

Get you three gang mowers, tie them to the bumper bolt a pto onto the differential and off you go.

Reply to
John S.

A set of tools, and a penus.

Reply to
RV

Buy a used tractor with a mower....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"and a penus"

A new and smaller version????

Reply to
John S.

Just drive the car over the border, pick up a bunch of mexicans, and have them cut your lawn. No conversion necessary.

Reply to
larrybud2002

Further thinking tells me that if you take the overflow tank off the rad, hook a sprinkler head to the hose & fill the cooling system with some liquid fertilizer, the resulting overheat from lack of fans will do double duty as an automatic lawn enhancer. Then you can mow twice as much.

Reply to
pater

Probably the right back episode of "Monster Garage." Or of "The "Red" Green Show," one.

I'd suggest that an automobile makes a poor basis for a lawn mower. Its turning radius is way too big; far too much of it (especially in front and back) is dedicated to things that are functionally or aesthetically desirable on the road but work against you in lawn mowing; it puts a lot of weight on the tires (lawn tractors, especially the professional groundskeeper sort, are relatively light and sit on real balloons so as not to harm the grass); and power takeoff is problematic.

Tractors are also a lot better at going slow -- exasperating when you're stuck behind one in a no-passing zone, but a big advantage in many aspects of what they're made for, such as this.

Back in the day, Jeeps and some other 4WD vehicles often had power takeoff (PTO) provisions that could drive all sort of accessories, including presumably mowers, but PTO is a feature mostly reserved for the "equipment" rather than road vehicles nowadays. Even back then, people did lotsa things with their cheap Army-surplus Jeep because it's what they had, not because it was the ideal machine for the job.

Which brings us to The Big Question.

If you are doing this as a science project/stunt/beer bet, I'd suggest a bush-hog type of attachment or perhaps the scary bits of an old riding mower and the appropriate blade guards, on the front, and a power linkage driven by an underhood pulley. (With the right ratio to keep the blade speed within the bounds of sweet reason, of course).

Remember that the more powerful the lawnmower and the more exposed the business end, the further it can fling a bigger rock, the quicker it can reduce your mailbox or your neighbor's flower bed to splinters, the larger and more important a body part it can chop off, and generally the more unforgiving it is of even a moment of inattention.

If your goal is genuinely to get the lawn mowed and/or brush cleared, then I'd suggest looking into used "real" farm or grounds equipment, whether in the form of a dedicated mower, a tractor of whatever size with a mower attachment, or wheeled hand equipment. It'll do a better job more safely and far more efficiently with less damage to the plants and the lawn. In some cases it'll be a lot more versatile. And you won't screw up your car in ways that make the neighbors shake their heads in awe and wonderment.

Best of luck,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera