How to turn your car into a Hybrid-Electric car?

Saw this. Not quite sure how well it'd work though.

Conor

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

It's sometimes called being 'slashdotted' ;)

Shame, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Reply to
Dave J

Googlecache. http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:lgQgMlPrGxAJ:

Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff. Posted in his lunch hour too.

Reply to
Paul Weaver

Excellent, thanks. 28KW peak electrical power out, that's a serious battery and some very serious cabling with 600A flowing from rear of car to front.

I'd be wondering about their research of the idea of disconnecting the IC torque and only using at it's most efficient RPM for keeping the battery charged. I'd have wondered if this was even more efficient, but they must have dismised it. Maybe 28KW is low compared to power output of standard engine.

Reply to
Dave J

Well, 2000 pounds for thirty kilowatt short term boost is quite cheap, but it is charged by the engine running, so fuel economy won't dramatically improve. I don't really see many people taking it up.

I would rather see something I could charge off mains electricity that would reduce the amount of petrol I put in. Even if it was only say twenty miles fairly low speed capability.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"mrcheerful ." wrote >

A nice big boost to midrange performance though. For a sub 2 litre car would give better than 3rd gear performance while staying in fifth.

Reply to
DavidR

You reckon? What about the extra weight of all those batteries, brake upgrades etc. Will probably make no difference at all..

Reply to
Scott Mills

"Scott Mills" wrote

A 36 amp-hr battery contains enough energy to deliver 30kW for 52 seconds. So the weight is not significant. The question is - is there a storage system that can repeatedly deliver it?

Reply to
DavidR

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:57:57 +0100, mrcheerful . wrote (in message ):

Actually, if you do town driving it will save you petrol - you get electric boost as you accellerate, then take some of that energy back into the batteries as you slow down. On a long steady drive you save nowt.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Hobson

Problem with that is apparently domestic electricity prices are set to go through the roof this winter, personally I think I'll stick to the Somerfield rapeseed cooking oil... Doh!

Even if it was only say twenty miles

Reply to
ivan

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:lgQgMlPrGxAJ:

ectrocharger/electrocharger.php+&hl=en

Nothing new. There were "petrol-electric" buses in London in the early 20th century.

Reply to
Ian Henden

I don't see how with this system. There was a prototype PSA system with IIRC a large flywheel providing braking and tranferring power to the alternator/battery system which stored power for future acceleration. I don't see any of this in this system though. (possibly mis-remembered the details of this....[Stella...]..)

What happened to that PSA system BTW?

Reply to
Andy Lord

Assuming 100% efficiency of course. you are looking at 50-60% max in real life

exactly. such a system would weigh a ton even with today's technology. What do you think car manufactures have been trying to do for the last few years?

Reply to
Scott Mills

"Scott Mills" wrote

Not necessarily. The requirement is not for energy capacity but sharp charge/discharge cycles.

They have been busy trying to make hopelessly impractical electric cars with enough storage to do a long journey.

The short duration pulse is not something that they have been trying to offer.

Reply to
DavidR

The price of cooking oil might rise due to the poor harvest this year caused by so much rain. You can't win!

Ian

Reply to
Ian

LPG is the next thing I want to try. Emissions are what put me off rapeseed oil as a dodge.

Reply to
Dave J

From what I read Biodiesel is supposed to be the DB's when it comes down to environmental considerations

so whereis it?

If the Government was 'genuinely' concerned about the environment, instead of making money, they would be 'actively encouraging' its availability at every petrol station, and with considerably less fuel duty that would encourage people to buy it.

Reply to
ivan

That article says that biodiesel has lower particulate emissions, I wasn't doing a proper conversion so perhaps my subjective analysis is flawed. Other than particulates, biodiesel is obviously going to be safer, little benzene, no heavy metals, generally fewer carcinogens and all recycled CO2. I think, that with the exception of the CO2 consideration, LPG is slightly cleaner still, but my reasoning is also based around cost. (Thank you, not, mr taxman)

Yes, that I find disgusting, and proof that this country (like many others) is thoroughly 0wned by the larger PLCs.

Hence my justification for considering it to be a fight, against the govt (main tool of the PLCs), against the war-taxes, and against the sellouts who call themselves police. I'd consider the sheeple to be traitors too, but that would credit them with too much intelligence.

Reply to
Dave J

True but such a system is readily available at a sensible price and weight.

True. But a part of that will be rapid charging. You're not going to want to put your mondeo on charge for 4 days to goto the shops are you?

Probably because a turbocharger does the job more than sufficiently as a reasonable cost.

Reply to
Scott Mills

No surprise there!

Reply to