How to wire turn signals?

My 61 bug is coming along. I have brake and tail lights, but no turn signals. Upon closer inspection, there is no blinker relay (or whatever its called :)

I bought a couple (they wer just US$1.5 with a holder) but dont really know how to wire them. I tried several ways, but no go.

I know one conector goes to 12v, another to the turn signal switch and the third one to the dash indicator, but don't know which one goes where. The terminals are marked 'p' 'l' and 'x'..... Any help?

As usual, thanks,

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

X Fuse L Load (Blk/Wh/Grn) P "Pilot" dash indicator (may not work correctly).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

one of the combinations I did not try :)

(what do you mean byt not work correctly?, I tried all the bulbs and they work.... I had to rewire a lot, but can light every bulb now, including the indicator..)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Isn't the 61 a 6 volt system? Was the car converted over to

12 volts at some time? I can't imagine a 6 volt blinker module would be very happy on a 12 volt system. I'm thinking you let the smoke out of it at some point.

If the voltages are ok and you haven't fried the thing, connect the output of the blinker module directly to one of the blinker lights. It should start blinking. If that works then you know the wiring in the switch is munged up somehow. All the switch does is connect either side blinkers to the output.

If it doesn't blink with the switch bypassed, and you can light the lamp by simply jumpering it to +V, then your blinker module isn't working correctly.

If it does blink with the switch bypassed, then look for a fault in the switch wiring. I have a kit car based on a 1960 beetle (60 and

61 use the same wiring, according to my haynes book), and whoever got a hold of it managed to short both of the outputs after the switch, in addition to wiring up most of the rest of the car wrong as well. My car has also been converted to 12 volts (probably when they did the kit) so it has a blinker module out of a 71 or 72 bug instead.

-- Mark Sokos Electrical Engineer, Computer Geek (er, programmer), and no talent bum musician

Reply to
Suscom Usenet News