Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

Many modern cars do this anyway.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Bollocks !

The alternator doesn't come into play *unitil the engine starts*.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear wrote: [headlamp reminder chime]

The '84 Prelude I used to drive had this feature. I wonder why a '92 Civic wouldn't.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

If the OP could remember the use of switches we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Under NORMAL conditions, yes. When you're push-starting, not so; you're running the car off the alternator.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

----- It takes 47 replies to tell a guy to carry some jumper cables... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

It's a puzzle.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Less of a puzzle when one notices some of the posts the OP made in a few other newsgroups recently. All of them have a distinct aroma of "let's see how many responses we can trigger with a question that looks at least semi-real at first glance, but upon examination, is obviously bogus".

As in, I think it might be time to hang out the "we have been trolled" sign...

Reply to
Don Bruder

I left my parking lights on overnight. Didn't think it would drain the battery down that much, but it did. The power door locks barely functioned, but there wasn't enough juice to get the starter going.

Fortunately the manager where I was staying was used to battery problems in his own vehicle and had one of those jump starter kits. As soon as I got home I looked into getting one for myself. They typically provide a "boost" but most can't compensate for a completely drained battery. There are more powerful units that might. Some come with air pumps and/ or power inverters.

I ordered a couple of these from Amazon. $39.95 each with free ground shipping. This particular one is out of stock, but they have different manufacturers/models. You can probably find similar boxes at Wal-Mart or auto supply stores.

Reply to
y_p_w

I have that exact same model -also-. Call me paranoid.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I can't vouch for it, just sharing the link...

Seth

Buy one of these.

If it happens to work, let me know.

Dave

Reply to
SD Dave

i bought one because that was the cheapest/easiest way to keep my 130psi road bike tires full.

Reply to
SoCalMike

I have a 1 year old car complete with computers and electric fuel pumps and managed to bump start it no problem, it wasn't even a steep hill either, I got a friend to push me, and once I was going about 5mph I lifted the clutch and the engine started.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Sorry if I'd misled anyone. These are genuine questions. The 92 Civic DX doesn't have a "lights on" chimer. We ran down the battery countless times. Many are from people who'd borrow our car. I believe on the third battery rundown incident the battery refuses to hold charge. It's a pretty small lead acid battery that you could get at Costco for $35 a pop. I wouldn't sell the little Civic for anything because the only thing that ever goes dead is the battery.

The idea to charge the battery from spinning the alternator by hand has been bugging me for almost three years. I just didn't have the nerve to ask. :)

I'm posting at the library, so time was limited. I compiled a list of questions (while half asleep) and post to relevant newsgroup and try to follow every newsgroup etiquette. Some of my post, regrettably, are poorly worded which appears trollish...:~) Thanks all for the practical varieties of solutions for the archive.

Nickaby

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

They used to sell a device called "battery saver" that would shut off the battery before it went too low to start the car. When I was at chrysler the guys would come buy pitching it. They had patent on it I think. That was 10+ years ago though. The single units might still be for sale in auto parts stores or on the web. its been many years so they probably work well now.

But as you know if you own any battery operated device such as cell phone. The technology to tell how low the battery is is VERY poor. The accuracy will degrade as the battery behavior changes over time. But it should save you for a long time and perhaps let you know when its time for a new battery when it does not save you.

Reply to
dnoyeB

I've heard it and read it in several places. I have no reason to doubt it. The starter motor will drain the battery a lot faster than the alternator can charge it. That much is obvious, as re-charging the battery fast would destroy it. So common sense tells you that the car will have to be driven a ways for the battery to recover from even a single attempt at starting the car. I'm sure there are differences between cars, but supposedly, 8 miles is the average distance driven before the battery recovers from attempting to start the car once. -Dave

Reply to
Mike T.

Two more words for you Sam, BUS CARD

Reply to
Al Bundy

Having a manual transmission is a bit of a rarity nowadays. Of course, an automatic tranny would wipe out the possibility of a push start for most people. (IIRC, some of the older tranny designs allowed push starts, but I doubt the newer ones do.)

If you have enough charge in the battery to activate the ignition system, and allow the fuel pump to operate and the ECM to control the key units, then a simple push start can work.

But get the battery too low,and it isnt going to work.

Reply to
<HLS

Maybe where you live. But not here.

Reply to