Oil leak around distributor after O-ring replacement

89 Cressida 7MGE engine. Was puking oil out around the distributor base. The old O-ring was flattened and brittle. Replaced with a Toyota OEM O-ring. Still getting leakage.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
muzician21

I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.

Reply to
muzician21

Yeah, it ain't the o-ring, it's the distributor. I had the same problem. Got a used one at a Jy and I was set.

Miss my 7MGE, wish I hadn't have sold it.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.

***** It can be easy to pinch that new O-ring sometimes.

Also, could be that you are developing pressure inside the crankcase. Malfunctioning PCV system, too much blowby, etc could be a contributing factor.

Reply to
hls

Alternately, is there excessive play in the distributor shaft? Might be time to have it rebushed, if you can find someone who still knows how to do that.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I should add, the leakage is much less but it's still leaking.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ You either damaged the new o-ring, or there is debris in the space where the seal is supposed to happen.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

as others say, the new o-ring might have been pinched and torn. was it tight going back and did you use the distributor bolts to get it back into its socket?

check again, and check the mount area. on split facings, you can get oil seepage along the groove obviously.

if the oil is found to be leaking from the distributor's internal shaft seal, you'll need to replace that. most distributors are not built to be consumer repairable so if it's leaking, you're probably best advised to get a fully reconditioned distributor.

Reply to
jim beam

I have only had to do that once in my life, to take some slack out of a worn distributor bushing. It was, however, a piece of cake. Now, this was a simple Ford distributor used in the big block engine, but the process was straight forward and very easy to do.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

last time I tried to get a dist part it was unavailable unless you were a rebuilder. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

I dont remember now whether I ordered this bushing from Ford or got it at a local parts house. Toyota parts might be a totally different matter. Or, you might be lucky enough to find a suitable bushing from generic bushing sets.

On some things like alternator parts, etc, I have gone to local rebuilders and they were happy to supply me with the "rebuilder only" parts I needed.

Reply to
hls

My "local rebuilder" is 70-some miles away (for alternators and starters) and I don't even know if they work on distributors or not. You are fortunate!

nate

Reply to
N8N

I have had some luck in the past replacing distributor seals. You just need to take careful measurements of the old seal and order a new one by it's dimensions, not it's application. I have 'knurled' quite a few distributor bushings using an appropriate size tap. Good luck, Ben

Reply to
ben91932