Re: what's been the fastest speed you've driven so far, in a car?

140mph+ (cylinder type speedo marked to 140 and about a 1/4-3/8" bare wood showing past the calibration) on I-90, western NYS, 2:00 a.m., in a 1961 Pontiac(many years ago)
Reply to
tak

lol for me it's only around 105mph in a '70 Olds Delta 88 with the 455 motor. I was racing a 60's camaro. I beat him too :) That was 1984

Reply to
CEG

Earth is spinning around at about 24,000 miles per hour, and the Galaxy Planet Earth is in is zipping through Space at about 60,000 miles per hour. Hang on to your Hat! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin
115mph in a 68 Buick LeSabre Convertible in 1983. Very scary!!

harryface

91 Bonneville 319,364 05 Park Avenue 86,882
Reply to
Harry Face

After you hit the "Century" mark, that old GM "B" body chassis really wanted to float!

A person could do 130 if they had the nerve and a smooth road!

Reply to
Anumber1

Scarier still are some of the tires that people have probably had on their cars when they were achieving these speeds. As a young man, I never thought about the tire specifications very much. I do now.

Reply to
hls

In a previous post, my little couch buddy doggy,

she made a typo, actually, Earth spins at the Equator at 1,038 miles per hour.At the North Pole, almost Zero miles per hour. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Most cars now come with the ECU governed to not exceed the speed rating of the factory tires. Still a valid concern though.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Even a "721" was a better tire than the OEM rubber under anything from 1968.

Bias-ply, hard and totally unforgiving in a blowout situation. Al

Reply to
Anumber1

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in news:14471-4A93786F-11302 @storefull-3111.bay.webtv.net:

105 in a '76 Dodge Coronet Brougham was pretty scary too. That thing wallowed all over the place at that speed unless the road was perfectly flat and straight.

And hey, what about the opposite: The SLOWEST car you've ever driven?

For me it was an early '80s diesel Nissan Datsun Sentra (yes there was such a thing). Pedal flat on the floor for at least a steady half-hour, it reached a max of 87 mph on the downhill and 80 on the uphill.

Reply to
Tegger

I remember an article in Mechanix Illustrated magazine, Tom McCahill was road testing a late 1950s Chrysler or Imperial car.The car had a set of General dual tread/twin tread tires.Tom McCahill was really bragging about those tires. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Slowest car? How about my 1914 Ford Model T Runabout Roadster car? Top speed rated at about 45 mph.Some other old slowest speed vehicles I have owned before, 1957 BMW Isetta, 1961 VW Van, 1963 VW beetle, 1970 VW van.I own a 1948 Willys Jeep, My Jeep needs to be rebuilt, it was slap worn out when I bought it for $300.00, I don't know what top speed they are rated at.The Army trucks I drove were governed down to 45 mph top speed.I own a made in Germany 1976 (I think it is a 1976, or 1978, I haven't looked at the data plate lately) Moped, it has bicycle pedals on it.About 30 mph top speed is all I can get out of it. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

1973 Ford Pinto. On the highway, throttle to the floor and the thing wouldn't go over 40 MPH. 1984 'Chevy' Whatever, the Isuzu they were selling back then, brand new. 0-60 in 1253867463986 seconds.
Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

A late 50's 2 wheel drive Jeep 3 speed that a grocery store I worked for in hi. sch.used for deliveries. I loved getting out of the store but not very far, this thing was governor controlled: 1st gear = 10 mph, 2nd= 20 mph, and

3rd = 40mph.
Reply to
tak

Some years later, a reader wrote in to ask him about going really, really fast -- well over 100. ISTR this was still in the bias-ply era. He likened it to driving on glass.

Unca Tom did like his 50s and 60s Chryslers, especially the 300 series and the homologation specials. Somewhere amid the boxes that never got unpacked in the course of many moves, I have, or hope I have, the issue with road tests of both the Dodge hemi (a full sized convertible) and the stock and movie-stunt Aston Martins from the James Bond movies of the era.

Not just a couple of extraordinary cars, but writing that was pure vintage McCahill. He mentioned burying the needle of the Dodge's speedometer while doing practice laps with the top down and smoking a cigarette -- he was not averse to including a banked oval track in a test if the nature of the car made it sensible -- and likened putting a then standard 120 mph speedo in that car to "trying to pass off a portrait of Castro as "Whistler's Mother." "

McCahill is no longer with us these many years, but for better or worse his prose remains an influence on the car magazines (usually in lesser hands than his -- I suspect that he knew full well how to write in a more conventional and restrained style, and knew exactly what he was doing with the outrageous figures of speech). Second thing anybody turned to in Mechanix Illustrated, after MIMI.

: And hey, what about the opposite: The SLOWEST car you've ever driven?

World War II Jeep, un-overhauled in the then 40 years since Ford built it for the Navy. It was an article of faith among us employees that it could cruise at the 45 mph minimum order in the unlikely event that anybody ever had to go on the Interstate with it. Realistically, outrunning the cloud of blue smoke from its own tailpipe was a good day. That old Jeep never failed to either start up or pull a hill (even if you had to resort to four-low), though -- more than we could say for some of the newer and fancier vehicles in the motor pool. I wouldn't be entirely gobsmacked to learn that it's still in use, though I hope somebody at least did an in-vehicle overhaul on it as a mercy to the atmosphere.

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

(Parts Board)
the CJ3B website
there are a lot of similar old Jeeps websites out there.There are quite a few restored and unrestored Willys Jeeps and Ford Jeeps still running around.I once bought a 1942 Willys Jeep from a local area guy, but that Jeep was wayyyyy too far beyond the pale to be restored. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Hmm...a 2 wheel drive Jeep?

Oh, late 50's. OK. I thought it was gov't surplus.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I own 6 mopeds. :) Yes stock they'll only do about 30mph, but I have one (modified) that'll do 45mph.

Do you own a moped??? what kind?? I have Puchs & Motobecanes and one Hobbit.

Reply to
CEG

I own one Moped.A 1976 made in Germany Hercules Moped.I think it is a

1976, either 1976 or 1978, I would have to look at the data plate on the front.My papers for it are in my little box at the bank.It is a Westlake model moped.It has a Sachs engine on it. Some of those European Mopeds will do about 100 miles per hour or faster, if the engine is hopped up.
cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin