Running out of fuel???

I have a 1985 Plymouth Grand Fury that has been giving me a problem lately, and I am puzzled as to what my next step should be.

First, I should tell you that this car has a 318 cubin inch, 5.2 liter engine - 2 barrel carburetor, an electronic full control computer, (Holly carburetor - 6280) - lean burn engine. This car has low mileage.

My question: After getting warmed, the car will cut out and acts like it has intermittently no spark and also feels as though it's running out of fuel. I have put on a new gas tank to make sure that it's clean. Also, I have replaced the fuel filter, anti knock sensor, air temperature sensor in the manifold, oxygen sensor, magnetic pick up in the distributor (single pick-up) and also replaced the fuel control computer, unit # 4288576.

I have also rebuilt the carburetor and made sure that everything was working properly except for the electronic metering which I could not get any longer. After replacing the fuel control computer, the car now has a severe knock on slight acceleration and the car still cuts out as previously described. At times the solenoid in the engine compartment for the EGR system mounted on the firewall starts to sporadically operate. When this happens, the car begins to miss out severely. The EGR system is all controlled by the fuel control computer mounted on the side of the air cleaner.

Is there a reliable source that I can get a computer from? I feel that this could still be the problem or could you provide me a list of parts to change this over to a non-routing (that will still legally pass emissions)? Any other suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
wisconsin262

I had an 85 Coronet with the same sounding trouble. It was intermittent and wouldn't show when my mechanic had his head under there. Drove us nuts.

We were doing something else unrelated and I was farting around and pulled the vent line off the carb's float bowl. The RPM instantly changed. It isn't supposed to...

Turns out that was my first run in with a dirty air filter on the gas tank vent! There is this $2.00 filter that goes on the bottom of the charcoal canister that is supposed to get changed every major tune up. The first one is a bear to dig out, but subsequent ones just tuck in and out.

When plugged, this canister does the neatest imitation of starving for and up and running out of gas by creating a vacuum on the gas tank and carb float bowl.

To test this, you can either drive with the carb float vent line off or next time it starts acting up, crack the gas cap open to release the vacuum.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have a 1985 Plymouth Grand Fury that has been giving me a problem
Reply to
Mike Romain

This is exactly the kind of "eureka" information that makes it worthwhile reading this newsgroup.

Reply to
clifto

This is a very uncommon fix that I have heard a lot about recently.

how many problems have been fixed by replacing this little filter??

Definitely a technical gem.

Reply to
motoron

I had an 80 Plymouth bought new at work that started doing that at about 90K miles. They replaced a lot of parts and never solved the problem so they sold the vehicle. One of the nicest vehicles I've ever had - I hated to see it go.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Try here, for about $60, I think. >

< HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Sorry: look at this instead of above. ... for about $87: I think this is what you need. >

< HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

So far, I've just had time to replace the air filter on the gas tank vent and it still runs like it did before. Other ideas?

Reply to
wisconsin262

How is the exhaust? I believe if you check the vacuum level and if it is low, you can suspect a blockage in the exhaust.

I also would just unplug the carb float bowl vent to make sure the canister isn't blocked from dis-use.

Mike

Mike Romain

One other thing that came to mind that is a sneaky fuel starvation one and that is a pinhole leak in the gas line on the suction side of the pump that can partially air lock the gas pump. These type of leaks can be small enough not to drip on the ground, but still allow air to be sucked into the gas line.

I usually see these leaks near where the line clips to the frame and in the rubber line. They first show up by a small stain. Usually they cause long cranking on cold starts too though...

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm having trouble finding where I can obtain the that fuel filter that's inside the fuel tank. Any ideas where I can get one from?

Reply to
wisconsin262

Either the scrap yard or at a busy garage that replaces or specializes in restoring fuel tanks. They might have an old one still good or a supplier for new.

I have managed to clear the socks by blowing back through them. If the sock blows off the line because it is too plugged when blown on, I would recommend a clear inline filter before the pump intake to take care of chunks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain