Refueling after running out of fuel

Suppose you were to run out of fuel. Can you add a couple of gallons and then immediately start the car? Just curious.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital©

Yes.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

However, if you only add a couple of gallons, it is likely that the fuel gauge will still show empty. Don't let that peculiarity worry you.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Yes, right, either that or it will show full. Don't let that excite you.

Reply to
Bill

Yes, but... the hybrid system alarms if you run out of fuel, because it has no direct knowledge why the engine won't start. People who have run out of gas report the warnings clear after a while / number of restarts.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've run out of fuel twice. Both times on the highway. The MPH will slow waaaaaaaaay down, to like 30MPH. The battery level drops faster than the fuel gauge in a Hummer fighting a head wind. If you run out, you will be lucky to get 5-10 miles off the battery alone.

In both cases the car was a-okay after filling the tank. The car didn't complain at all. I did experience the "stalling issue" about

3-4 months after the first time I ran out of fuel, the dealer tried to blame it on me running out of fuel. Apparently the computer keeps the fact that you ran out of gas in it's memory. When the dealer plugged it in - there is was in the log file. I haven't had any problems with the car after the second time I ran out of fuel, which occured last July on a trip through Virginia.

2004 Prius.

Reply to
dnorton

which is lot better than a normal car which won't move an inch

Reply to
zaax_guard-ggroups

If you don't add at least three gallons, the car won't believe you've added gas. Other than that, no problem.

Reply to
TJim

It won't show on the display, but it will still start. I ran out of gas once, and the car started right up after adding two gallons of gas.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Did it have persistent hybrid warnings after you got it going again?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks. I knew it wouldn't show up but I didn't know it would start anyway. That's good news (hopefully I won't need that information, though...) ;)

Reply to
TJim

No. What did bug me, though, was that I could have made it to the next gas station on the electric motor had I know it was there. Instead, I had to wait two or three hours for the road-service truck to arrive with the gas.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I wonder if the nav lady would have found that gas station. If it were me, and had she found it, I'd quit calling her "stupid" after each voice command.

Reply to
Bill