tips on tightening axle nut on 97 grand am

Recently a mechanic tightened the front right axle nut on a 97 Grand Am (drive axle), and the roar coming from that wheel went away.

Now it's loose again.

Anybody know the torque requirements for this nut?

Any other tips about accessing the nut? I think it'll be straighforward, but any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
symbolist

symbolist wrote in article ...

It isn't so much the torque requirements, it's that you are supposed to replace this nut after a single use - not just tighten it.

Replace it and torque it to factory specs, but your splines MAY be worn from being loose, causing the condition to return.

Ultimate cure??? New axle with new nut....maybe a new hub,. depending on wear...

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

That is an indication the wheel bearing is about to fail.

He tightened it because of wear to seat the bearing back in the race.

If it came loose again then the race or bearings have uneven wear which eats up the metal parts fast.

Usually drive axles that I deal with have a high torque on the nut, but it depends on the system, I don't know the specs for yours.

I have never seen a second torque work for longer than a couple weeks. I have seen wheels fall off after the second torque too when the bearing blew out it's guts.

Mike

symbolist wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"symbolist" wrote

There is a bulletin about an updated nut...but it's for vehicles just a bit newer then yours. Mind you, I'd almost bet that it would fit your year of vehicle.

If you want to give it a try, here is the part number for the updated axle nut (it's supposed to provide a more even clamping load on the bearings)......

10289657

This nut is for 97 and up Malibu's....and 99 and up

Grand Am's and Alero's.

Torque for the new nut is 175 ft/lbs.

Ian

Reply to