codP1441 on 97 Grand Am

Hello, hope someone here can point me in the correct direction. I had a check engine light on this week and just went to Auto Zone to run diagnostics to see what is was. The code was P1441 which stands for an evaporative emissions systems flow during non-purge (what the heck does that mean?). I just cleared the code an hour ago and had a 5 mile drive home & the check engine light didn't come back on during those five miles; however, I would still like to know what would make this code pop up in the first place. Thank you to anyone who can give guidance on this. Randy

Reply to
Randy and Ann

loose gas cap maybe

ds549

Usually loose... I had one gas cap that was "bad" and had to be replaced.

Reply to
David Courtney

Thank you for the information. As it turns out, the check engine light did not come back on. I did get gas after my trip to AutoZone, so it may have been a loose gas cap, I just don't know. Anyway, I appriciate the feedback. Randy

Reply to
Randy and Ann