Toyota Seatbelt Question

We just inherited the MIL's 1990 Toyota Corolla DX. It's in very nice condition but I have a question about the seatbelts. They seem OK but they don't seem to lock up. I can't get them to lock by pulling quickly on them nor do they lock up in a quick stop like the belts in my other cars. Should they? The manual says they'll retract in an accident situation but otherwise you can 'move freely'. I've never had a Toyota so don't know what to expect. Just want to know if this is the way they should be.

The shoulder belts are those cursed motorized things but the lap belts are manual. I hate that set-up but won't be driving the car much, it's gonna be the kid car.

Thanks...

Reply to
M.M.