Trans flush... placebo or worthwhile?

When Chrysler started making the FWD overdrive automatics (AKA 604 ultracrap) all semblance of reliability went out the window. I have seen more good mini vans in junk yards because of this turd. Anybody that has a older Mopar minivan with this lemon probably knows a transmission man or will soon know one..... I know people that have been through 2 and three trannies.

People bitch about fords FWD. I have had 5 Taurus and not a trannie failure yet. But i baby mine so they will last. I and stay away from the otherwise nice Ford minivans they had because i think the trannies were undersized for the task in them

bob

Reply to
bob urz

Our fleet of Caravans used to average 40K to a trans.

Unless you got stuck and spun the tires in the winter, then you could plan on a new one soon.

Reply to
Steve W.

Welll I just don't believe in the flush! The pressure stirs up mud, and can blow seals.

Dump the warm old oil out of the pan, wash and blow gently the filter screens if you can, and reuse everything. Some filters need to be changed as you can't get inside to make sure all debriss is gone.

I am now retired , and have done this all my life, and also to my kids and grandkid cars and trucks, never had any problem except the 1997 Caravan.

Chevychase

Reply to
chevychase

In 1950, this would not have been an issue

Reply to
hls

Nope, wrong. Should have been "cold".. This singing comes from a weaning of atf pressure, or from this singing pressure valve.

I cant, at the moment, recall the exact name for this valve, but can find it if anyone is interested.

Reply to
hls

I won't work on this car myself, and it seems that both of the garages that are with the fleet program don't do the simple "drop the pan and change the screen" service.

So far i've put a couple hundred miles on it, and the shift quality still feels better than it was. Darn near perfect, in fact. Only quibble with the trans is the programming of the torque converter - it unlocks whenever you take your foot completely off the gas, and it's fairly loose, so no compression braking. Probably good for gas mileage, but means lots of riding the brakes in traffic or going down hills.

nate

Reply to
N8N