What's involved in refitting a dual-fuel vehicle?

I have a former Minnegasco van that apparently has the capacity to run on natural gas. There is a controller attached to the dash that lets one switch from gas to CNG, but the tank has been taken out. Anyone know what's involved in refitting a vehicle like this? Know where I could have it done in/near Minneapolis? With the price of gasoline these days, I'd like to have the option!

Reply to
djbuffyluv

If you're lucky, the conversion parts are mostly still in place, and it could be as simple as a replacement tank and a careful check of the plumbing, especially around any coupling and the controller. (You definitely don't want a leak!)

If the van is fairly new, contacting the manufacturer to see if it was a factory offering might be worthwhile.

I wonder if CenterPoint Energy could (and would, a different issue!) tell you. They're the corporate heir to Minnegasco... and one of their other branches, Entex, is involved in compressed natural gas (CNG) stations as a business that began with its own fleet. See for instance

Here is some background information that you might find useful:
(That page has a bit of potentially bad news: that the most expensive item in the few- to several-$k conversion system is the tank. Maybe that's why somebody removed it!)

Best of luck,

--Joe

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera