TD5 Dual Mass flywheel problems

Clutch issues on Disco 2 TD5 2001MY. Local independant chap changed dual mass flywheel for a standard one (Britpart conversion kit) complete with new clutch pressure unit and friction plate. Clutch now ok, however when idling in neutral there is a horrid rattling noise, sounds like cogs are about to fly out of the gearbox! If transfer box put in neutral sound is there in all gears in main box. Chap removes the box, all looks well in the bell housing, no signs of distress. At my suggestion spins up gear box on bench - no nasty noises. Puts it all back together - horrid noise still present. He rings Britpart technical support - 'oh yes they do that' !!!!!!!!!!!

Surely this cannot be right? He is now proposing to get another dual mass flywheel and put that in to get us back to square one.

Anyone else had problems with the Britpart TD5 dual mass to standard clutch conversion kit? I can't believe Britpart can just accept that their product rattles like a bag of nails.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

The generally expressed opinion on this NG is that in fact Britpart are indeed capable of such.

Following problems with a trailer loom (fog lamp bit) I have expressly forbidden by local independent ever to put anything from Britpart on my Defender ever again.

I don't think I can help with your rattles - clutch fork or thrust bearing maybe.

Wrt to dual mass flywheel AIUI the purpose of this device is to reduce the stress on the gearbox/transmission when the clutch is released with modern high torque diesels. Failure is often attributed to a heavy left foot. If so replacing with a standard flywheel may not be such a good idea. BIMBW

Reply to
hugh

The whole point of a dual mass flywheel is to reduce gearbox chatter in neutral. What you're hearing is precisely what I would expect. Better gearbox oil will probably help matters, but otherwise you'll just have to live with it.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sat, 05 Mar 2011 20:53:31 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

And here was me thinking it was to add cost and complexity and something else to go wrong to the vehicle....

handy knowledge though, I guess I won't bother with that kit for mine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

I would be interested to know how it is supposed to stop gearbox chatter in idle - something I have never experienced regardless of flywheel type. Bear in mind also that these things have now been introduced on many (if not all) modern diesels. They are equally cursed from time to time in uk.rec.caravanning.

Reply to
hugh

gives a passable summary.

Reply to
EMB

Shackles

changed

Clutch now

transfer box

distress. At

Britpart

standard

chatter in

Yes that puzzled me too. Anyway chappie has now put in an original dual mass flywheel and all is back to normal with no rattling. I can't be certain that the chatter was the gearbox, infact I suspect it wasn't. The Britpart kit apparently has an aluminium retainer for the release bearing whereas I understand that the original is a plastic one - just maybe it was that.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Maybe the poster was being sardonic. Wit is always wasted on usenet.

Reply to
hugh

Well, sort of, they can help that, but....

Modern high torque engines (not just diesels) can produce significant torque at low revs, just as everyone wants. But, the resulting torque fluctuations (pulses) at low revs stresses just about everything in the drive line, crankshaft onwards.

The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) is designed to smooth out such fluctuations under load, drasticaly reducing the stress on the driveline, and engine, also making the whole care much smoother to drive, as well as helping silence neutral chatter at idle.

There is a supurb article in a recent AutoInform magazine (online digital mag, Google for it, but you'll need to subscribe for free to get it) describing these things, and what can fail if they are replaced by a single mass flywheel.

They can (unlike the similar system fitted to most clutch friction plates for many decades now) have over 100' of movement between the two parts, they also have a "special" grease (whatever that is) between them as a damping system.

Despite all the bad press about them, most modern vehicles with manual 'box's, from cars to trucks now have them fitted as standard, with only a "relatively" low failure rate.

Of the ones I know that have failed, in each case the regular driver was shall we say, "more enthusiastic than most" with the right foot.

I've also I found out recently, been driving cars (VW Passat, Honda Accord, and now Mazda 6, and dozens of hired Transits etc) for the last

8 years, All fitted with DMF's.

As for $hitpart, like others, I wont have any of it any more, after several recent experiences of parts that just don't fit. The last was a Salisbury Axle Stub, some 2 thou' oversize, so bearings wont fit on it.

But it's cheap people cry. Well, £40 instead of over £75 for the correct part.

You pay your money, and .........

Cheers.

DaveB

Reply to
DaveB

changed

Clutch now

transfer box

distress. At

Britpart

standard

chatter in

significant

torque

fluctuations

helping

manual

BLIMEY ! " .... 100 foot of movement between the two parts ...." !!!!! That must make double de-clutching a tad difficult

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

hundred degrees! Yes ' is for feet in linear measurement, but you try finding a degree symbol that'll get through the NG mail machinery when you're stuck with a laptop keyboard.

DaveB.

Reply to
kbv

alt-248 does it for me °

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.' Catherine Aird

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Indeed, I know that trick, but it's somewhst dificult on a laptop keyboard with no numlock key!

DaveB

Reply to
DaveB

On or around Fri, 11 Mar 2011 13:18:01 -0000, DaveB enlightened us thusly:

it rather depends on the part in question. in some cases, the saving is much more than that, where the OEM part is more overpriced.

I've had a lot of Britprat stuff over the years and for the most part it's been OK. I'd tend not to fit it for something as difficult to get at as the flywheel though...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Cheap or expensive, if it doesnt fit, it's naff.

But yes, if it's dificult to get to, best fit the right parts, to reduce the need to do it all again too soon.

DaveB.

Reply to
DaveB