which shop manual 1986 escort & 1995 taurus?

I haven't tinkered much with cars since my '66 Dart days, so I'm pretty much in the dark every time I lift the hood. But I've got an

86 Escort that my teen son has visions of 'pimping out'- and a 1995 Taurus that I've become attached to over the past 9 years.

I've got a current problem with the Taurus running rough which prompted me to buy a code reader & order Charles Probst's book on injectors--- but after spending 20 minutes trying [unsuccessfully] to find timing marks on this thing I'm certain I also need a good basic Chilton or Haynes or some other manual.

Any suggestions? I'm not likely to be rebuilding an automatic transmission, but a well illustrated book with the names of all those new-fangled parts & some basic repairs would be a real benefit.

I have a Chiltons for the Escort & it appears to be pretty good, but before I buy one for the Taurus I thought I'd ask if there is a better option.

Thanks, Jim [and BTW-- where *are* the timing marks on a 1995 taurus V6, 3.0 OHV]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I see the factory service manual for Escorts on CD being sold real cheap on eBay. I bet you can find one for the Taurus also. As long as you don't mind printing pages when you need to I think it's the way to go. The Chilton or Hayes manuals suck in comparison.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Thanks--- I see what looks like 2 different CDs that cover my 95 Taurus-

like it is a proprietary software of some type. This one uses Adobe acrobat-
Are you familiar with the first one? I hate Acrobat & if the manuals are the same, I'd like to try the other.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

This above one does not say if it is a factory serviec manual and therefore I have to believe that it's not, and I'd avoid it.

I would get this one. It's too cheap to pass up IMO. Factory service manuals, including the emissions manual for $11 shipped. I'd put up with Acrobat for that kind of pricing! I personally use the printed manuals and you'd pay hundreds for the actual hard copy manual.

Reply to
Childfree Scott