1999 Toyota Tacoma V6 versus Prerunner V6

I'm looking at possibly buying a late 90"s Toyota Tacoma V6, or a Prerunner V6. Is there any difference in gas mileage in these 2 trucks with the same 3.0 liter V6 engine with 5 speed manual transmission? I also plan on doing some hauling of around 2,000 to

3,000 pounds and as I have already said would like the best gas mileage possible? Would a 4 cylinder do the job or would I be better off with a V6? Thanks for any and all advice as you can tell I am not real knowledgeable on these trucks. Dana
Reply to
dppe

I have a 2000 Pre-Runner V6 . It has the 3.4 liter eng and all Pre-Runners have an automatic trans . No manual available. My mileage is 17 to 19 in town. Hiway mileage about 22 driven on the conservative side. Non Pre-Runners I know of get better mileage. I think the tire size makes the difference. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I think you will get slightly poorer fuel economy with the Prerunner because of the larger tires. If you are hauling 2,000 to 3,000 lbs, the V6 will do a better job than the 4 cylinder.

Reply to
Ray O

The PreRunner is a 4WD truck...WITHOUT the 4WD system! It has all the components of the 4WD model less the front drivetrain. Why? I dunno!

If the Tacoma is 2WD, it will probably get better mileage due to the smaller tires and slightly less heavier suspension. Towing should be similar between both models, although with the heavier suspension and tires, the PreRunner may be able to tow more of a load. It's been a while since I've seen one, so I can't recall completely.

Reply to
Hachiroku