99 Tacoma Prerunner

Howdy y'all. I just bought a 99 Tacoma Prerunner the other day and saw a button on the left side of the steering wheel that says "ECT" on it. I looked it up in the manual and it mentioned something about using that button when I need increased acceleration. I couldn't find any more info. on this button. What and when do y'all use it? When would it be helpful. Thanks in advance.

A new Toyota devotee,

Wes

Reply to
Wes & Karis

Electronically Controlled Transmission - just holds the gear til a higher RPM before shifting - giving a bit more power and, hence, less fuel economy. I wouldn't use it all -- kool if your in high school and it dad's PU and ya want to peel out but not much value otherwise.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Alright. Thanks.

Reply to
Wes & Karis

It changes the RPM at which gears shift. If you are going up hills and are tiered of the automatic trans shifting up and down hit that. Also, since it will shift later, it will enable you to accelerate to a specific speed faster. But no, it won't give the engine more power and wont enable you to peel off as someone else suggested.

Reply to
Roadrunner

Great. Thanks for the info.

Reply to